Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2778

Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I haven't had a book that I have cried with yet, but I am sure that my time is a-coming. :lol2:
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
kaitlynrobbins
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlynrobbins.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by kaitlynrobbins »

I always cry when I read The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Every. Single. Time.
Jemimah33
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jemimah33 »

The first book that made me cry was 'The Outsiders' by SE Hinton. The part when Johnny dies a hero ...I wept buckets!!
Inmortalbooklover
Currently Reading: Glass Sword
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Inmortalbooklover »

Reynaa wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 01:25
Inmortalbooklover wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 08:32 I have cried with almost all books, being the one that had made me cry the most ``The book thief´´
Oh my goodness that book is lovely and heartbreaking! I had to read it in my English class in high school and luckily had read before hand to cry it out. I had to try so hard to hold it back in class! I just love that book and the format it's written in.
Ohhh!!! A similar thing happened to me when we had to read ´´Noughts and Crosses´´ for my english class. I thankfully read it at home first, and cried throughout half the book. By the time we got around to reading it in class I had shread all my tears at home and had none left :)
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I just read a book called War is Just a Word. I just finished the review, but it is not published yet. It made me cry several times while reading.
elvinnaali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by elvinnaali »

I have cried my eyes out while reading books so many times! One book that really put me on edge was "All the Bright Places" by Jennifer Niven. The book was so relatable to me and the people around me, It really gave me a sense of emotion from the heart and soul.

Another book that had made me cry was the classic, "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. I felt as if I was in the book while reading it. It got me sad, happy and angry at the same time. It is definitely a book to read and it really gives a person a different perspective on life after finishing the book. Young readers specifically would have their views changed and I can say that from experience.

"Born of Legend" by Sherrilyn Kenyon is a book that I've recently read and I did not get over it for a couple of weeks. I cried tears of joy, agony, and betrayal. It made me go deep inside my soul and captured emotions that I didn't even know I was capable of feeling.
Astrid Galactic
Currently Reading: The Great Blue Hills of God
Bookshelf Size: 2049
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Astrid Galactic »

There have been several books that got the tears flowing. One of the biggest tear gushers was Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived by Ralph Helfer. The true story of the life long bond between a boy/man and an elephant. They were born the same day and not always together throughout life, but somehow, would find their way back to each other. Highly recommend it if you like a good animal story.
Yolimontanoa

Post by Yolimontanoa »

The Fault in our Stars and A Monster Calls, are the only 2 book that have made me cry.
pengy86
Currently Reading: After Ever Happy (After, #4)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pengy86.html
Latest Review: High Hopes by Sue Lilley

Post by pengy86 »

I'm fine and neither are you by Camille Pagan
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I have a fair few times. The most recent being the book I just finished, The Reel Sisters. I cried a couple of times reading it, first when Rose's daughter dies and then when Amanda dies. The death of children and parents in novels always sets me off. I think I can blame The Lion King and Bambi for first starting me off. I haven't stopped since!
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

Yolimontanoa wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 17:27 The Fault in our Stars and A Monster Calls, are the only 2 book that have made me cry.
Absolutely floods of tears for The Fault in Our Stars. What was the bit that had you crying first?
Inmyfreetime

Post by Inmyfreetime »

Where the Red Fern Grows... Every time
Yolimontanoa

Post by Yolimontanoa »

HanSmith97 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 17:14
Yolimontanoa wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 17:27 The Fault in our Stars and A Monster Calls, are the only 2 book that have made me cry.
Absolutely floods of tears for The Fault in Our Stars. What was the bit that had you crying first?
When Hazel is taken to ER days before the trip to Amterdam and they almost didnt let her go :(
[/quote]
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia J. Koelker.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

Yolimontanoa wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 20:41
HanSmith97 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 17:14
When Hazel is taken to ER days before the trip to Amterdam and they almost didnt let her go :(
[/quote]

Absolutely - what a tear-jerker. But also the reading of the will scene, couldn't even read the page I was crying so much

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”