Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Duryen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duryen.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Duryen »

I agree with Deathly Hallows. I think I completely lost it with the elf death and it got worse as the deaths of people I had grown to love continued to die.

Most recently, I cried reading the end of Good Omens. Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman each wrote how the book was conceived and written from their own perspective. I mourned for Pratchett again through Gaiman's words.

Otherwise, I usually avoid books I know will make me cry. I can't handle things like Marley and Me because I know I will carry the sadness with me. I still hate that my friends died in Daily Hallows.
heavenlymess81
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by heavenlymess81 »

At the end of Philip Pullman's HIs Dark Materials, in the last book The Subtle Knife. Lyra and her little friends that she loves... so far yet so close :cry:
CatieClouds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catieclouds.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by CatieClouds »

Well, I'll have to go with the classic answer, Where the Red Fern Grows. Many other books have made me cry, but that's the one that stands out in my mind. I tend to read a lot of true crime and depending on how it's written, those books sometimes make me cry, especially when the book focuses more on the victim's life and the impact of their death on their loved ones.
Joy Catap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy-catap.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Joy Catap »

Hunger Games. To be honest, it seems like a happy ending; but all the characters are damaged after the war. I really got attached with the characters. Letting them go is kinda hard.
Ciellabella_22

Post by Ciellabella_22 »

Yes, I always remember an old book that I cannot find now called "The Thief." Nearing the end, I broke down because a character I admired alot, passed on. This isn't a spoiler because I can't even find that book anymore 😂 It was written in the 90's I believe.
Emma Fecteau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Emma Fecteau »

I've read a lot of really sad stories but I can honestly say I've never cried during any of them. However, movies and TV shows definitely do me in, I think for me seeing the emotions onscreen is more impactful than reading it.
lennycamacho2019

Post by lennycamacho2019 »

atrixa wrote: 15 Jun 2009, 14:17 Tell us what books have had you bawling like a baby. For me, the only one i can think of is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
Marianela by Benito Pérez Galdós.

It's one of the greatest, saddest short classic Mexican novels I have ever read. A love story that ends in tragedy, although not the way I expected. Highly recommended read.
Sophia Orduna
Currently Reading: How to Talk so Little Kids Will Listen
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Sophia Orduna »

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini & First They Killed My Father by Loung Ung.

I always get emotional during the heavy parts of the book but the waterworks were really on full-blast while reading these two books.
Brnlan
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brnlan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brnlan »

I can get quite attached to characters in a well-written book. lol I've cried numerous times over a multitude of books. The most recent is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
girly girl
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-girly-girl.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by girly girl »

Almost every fiction book I've ever read. I just attach to the characters too much.
Captnkate 50
Currently Reading: Merchants of Virtue
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by Captnkate 50 »

I am a sucker for animal tales ( yes, pun intended!).Starting as a child anything that had a horse in it was a huge favorite. I read all of Walter Farley's Black Stallion series. The semi- fiction books of Misty of Chincoteague was so endearing I still would love to visit during the pony swim in the summer. I still love horses to this day having also had a large equine fur baby of my own. The memoir story told by Susan Richards, Chosen by a Horse was poingant and tugged fiercely at the heartstrings. Smiling and crying at the same time is possible. :) :cry:
PiscesBookLover
Currently Reading: The Lightning Thief
Bookshelf Size: 134

Post by PiscesBookLover »

Most recent cry from a book was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. That one hit really close to home with the topics it was centered around. It brought back really happy and really sad memories; tears were inevitable.
Moodykelz_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moodykelz_10 »

Me before you!!!

I cried reading this book so hard that I threw it on the floor haha. Oh and Marly and me the book. There has been so many. I'm to much of an empath lol
homelight

Post by homelight »

The Boy inside the Striped Pajamas
This eBook takes you through waves of emotion as you start to apprehend the overall context of the primary man or woman, the nine-yr-antique son of the Auschwitz commandant. Taking region throughout the Holocaust, we witness the horror from his attitude, a boy who just desires friends. You’ll be greatly surprised via some of the more startling factors of the eBook as the boy, Bruno, befriends one of the Jewish boys on the opposite side of the fence.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

Perelandra by C.S. Lewis always makes me cry, no matter how many times I read it. The moment that the identity of the antagonist is revealed and the main character’s reaction are both so intense I can never hold it together!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”