Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Book_Worm_2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Book_Worm_2018 »

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Read it twice and I think I cried both times. And I'm a guy. Haha
Eileen R
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eileen-r.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by Eileen R »

I cry every time I read a romance novel where the two lovers can't be together for some reason. It saddens me when people can't find happiness. I cry whenever an author succeeds in bringing out the sadness and suffering of the characters
tanya shukla
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanya-shukla.html
Latest Review: Gates to Tangier by Mois Benarroch

Post by tanya shukla »

The Broken Wings by Khalil Gibran really made me cry. Novella deals with a young dreamy author in love with a woman betrothed to another man. It's simply a masterpiece.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

Someone could pinch me, and I'd cry, but here's a little intro to my favorites.

1. The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
3. Of Mice and Men by John Steinback
4. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
5. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
6. A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
7. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton
8. The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
9. A Separate Peace by John Knowles
10. One Day by David Nicholls.
AlexisMersino
Currently Reading: King's Cage
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexismersino.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by AlexisMersino »

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
Myah Schultz
Currently Reading: Peace Like a River
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-myah-schultz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Myah Schultz »

Many books have made me cry. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart made me cry. The Book Thief made me cry. The Taste of Blackberries made me cry. Edward’s Eyes put me out of commission for several hours because I was crying. Orbiting Jupiter pulled hit me over the head with an emotional frying pan when I was least expecting it and made me cry. Old Yeller made five year old me go into hysterics. My Sister’s Keeper made me cry. Upon reflection, I may be more sensitive than most.
laura89
Currently Reading: Can I be Frank
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by laura89 »

San1968 wrote: 16 Jun 2009, 14:21 I cry at so many books that I have lost count but the ones that I found heart wrenching are "In the Memory of the forest" by Charles T Powers (one of the most amazing books I have ever read) and "Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources" by Marcel Pagnol. But I also have to admit that the James Herriot books made me laugh and cry in equal measure.
I sometimes wish I was more like this! I get told I have a heart of stone... The ONE that has made me cry however is My Sister’s Keeper of all books!
Cin8685
Currently Reading: The Address
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cin8685.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by Cin8685 »

I did cry reading Harry Potter, the fault in our stars had me hysterically laughing and then 4 pages later, ugly crying. The note book and the wedding both had me bawling. A few Nicholas sparks books have gotten to me as well, Sarah’s Key, but The last book I read that REALLY made me cry was The Nightengale by Kristin Hannah. Holy cow. That book was so heart wrenching but so amazing. Easily a top 5 favorite of mine now!
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I get emotional quite easily. The Fault in Our Stars and Looking for Alaska both made me cry. The whole Darkest Minds series by Alexandra Bracken made me cry at one point but Never Fade had me sobbing. History is all you left me by Adam Silvera was probably the last book I read that made me cry.
Thebookstealer
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Thebookstealer »

I'm a big softie when it comes to death so I cried really hard as Harry Potter kept losing his friends and I cried when Finnick died in the Hunger Games and there's the weird one where I cried because the ending of Morganville was so beautiful, I wanted the books to go on forever. Same way I cried because I didn't want the Chronicles of Narnia to ever end.
I've cried for many more books, but I can't pick them all of my head now... :mrgreen2:
YinDragon_76
Currently Reading: Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yindragon-76.html
Latest Review: Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by YinDragon_76 »

The Kite Runner made me cry more than once!
Northernbird84
Currently Reading: The Crossing
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-northernbird84.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by Northernbird84 »

It was actually the Exorcist that made me cry. I saw the film and thought it was only ok, so my Dad insisted I read the book. The entire scene where the priest jumps out of the window in the film made no sense to me, in the book it absolutely broke my heart!

If you haven't read it I definitely recommend it, although it is slow to get started it's worth it.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The first book that made me cry was Black Beauty. I read it as a pre-teen. I was so entranced by the descriptions. I felt like I was there with the horse. I cried when he was abused and neglected and I cried when he was reunited with his friend in the end.

A book that made me cry recently was Hunger Games. I did not cry at all the violence of the games or even the manipulation of the government. However, in the end when she is at peace sitting in a grassy field below which are the dead bodies of district 12, then I cried. I cried because she was still tragically wounded by all she went through and yet she had found joy in her life with Peeta.
Olagboye Sam
Currently Reading: The Unfortunate Expiration of Mr. David S. Sparks
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Olagboye Sam »

Do not make me cry bit I was totally sad I say... The book author was (William Shakespeare). Name of book was Romeo and Juliet... Romeo try all is possible to achieve is love for Juliet...
Jenwelling
Currently Reading: The Sword of Summer
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenwelling.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Jenwelling »

The Shack by William P. Young
A Dog’s Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
A Child Called “It” by Dave Pelzer
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”