Books that have made you cry?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Ever cried at a book?

Yes
93%
No
7%

Total votes: 2774

Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: Books that have made you cry?

Post by Zora C Penter »

00LynnMarie wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 13:18
Zora C Penter wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:37 Bridge to Terabithia , The Other Side of the Mountain, and Where the Red Fern Grows all made me cry. The last one especially brought on the tears multiple times.
These books are all on my list of tear-jerkers as well. I think I cried when I read Tuck Everlasting also.
Oh, I did with that one too!
eryk516
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eryk516 »

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes makes me cry
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

The last book to make me cry was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I also read it in one day because I could not put it down. What I expected was a sappy little love story, but there was so much more depth to the characters and relationship building. When I feel fully invested with the characters, and feel their personal gains and losses as my own, that is when I cry. The writer has to make me care about the characters first, and nurse that connection throughout the story gradually so it feels natural.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I also definitely cried during Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. But the book that came to mind was “Bridge to Terabithia,” oh my goodness I sobbed reading that book. Also “The Kiterunner” and “Where the Red Fern Grows,” those were tearjerkers
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
isabel2302
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabel2302.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by isabel2302 »

I read The Catcher In The Rye, by J. D. Salinger, at a time in my life where I was struggling with many of the same issues as the protagonist, and I just remember feeling so immensely grateful that I had come across this book and appreciating how much it was doing for my mental health, confidence and peace of mind.
That being said, I don't think I cried while reading the book itself, but as soon as I finished it and closed it, I remember just bursting into tears and wondering what the hell was going on with me (I'd never cried at a book before). I sobbed for what must have been about half an hour alone in my bedroom, after which I quietly put the book back in the shelf and went on with my life.
I still can't help but feel like that book changed me as a person and gave me the confidence to face many of the issues I was having a hard time with at that point in my life. I will always think of it fondly.
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

atrixa wrote: 18 Jun 2009, 10:21 God, just remembered a really obvious one- The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffinegger. I wept for days...
This was the first book that popped into my head too... :cry:
HershyGreenwood
Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hershygreenwood.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by HershyGreenwood »

I think of all the books, the one that made me cry most is and was The Color Purple by Alice Walker...
elderwand
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 565

Post by elderwand »

I cried in Harry Potter when Dumbledore, Dobby, and Sirius died.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Harry Potter had me bawling on many occasions!
Also, and books from an animals point of view (like A Dogs Life) always have me in tears at the end!
Sh3rlockian
Currently Reading: The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Sh3rlockian »

Maybe I'm just a different kind of reader, but I've never really cried while reading any book. Oh yes, I've cared about the outcome of the story and about the character's fates, but not with any tear jerking emotion.
Sorry all!
Cowgirl87
Currently Reading: A Police Action
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Cowgirl87 »

The most recent book I read that made me cry. A Woman Betrayed, about a woman with two kids who finds her husband had not returned home. The woman keeps worrying wondering where he could possibly be.
hopej123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hopej123 »

The saddest book I have ever read is My sisters keeper :(((( 10/10 recommend! Expecially if you have sisters this will catch you right in the feels
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I cry almost every time I read a book, but a book that made me bawl my eyes out five times was A Thousand Splendid Suns.
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I don't cry easily, yet [i]The Book Thief[/i] by Markus Zusak had me bawling at the end when I read it for a class in 9th grade. I haven't cried over a book since, but Liesel's struggle and tragedy just struck me, and I've always had a week spot for a really good WWII setting.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

I have never cried for a book, and I am proud(ish) of that!
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”