Book You Just Can't Do

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Re: Book You Just Can't Do

Post by lisalynn »

No question 50 Shades. I only got part way through and it was so boring and poorly done that I had to quit. I never attempted any of the other entries in the series.
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

For me it would be "A scarlet letter". I know, it's such a classic and many enjoy and appreciate it! I, myself have read it twice (for school). But, I just could not get into it the way I hoped. I guess, I just don't enjoy Hawthorn's style.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I hate to admit this but I didn't love Of Mice and Men. So many people like this book, and I just couldn't get into it. I felt the same way about Shogun, much to my husbands disappointment. I also did not like the last book in the Twilight series, but I think that was mostly because I was pregnant and the birth in that book was horrifying - definitely not the story to read when you are eight months pregnant!
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 08:15 The Hunger Games I read the first & went on to the second but couldn’t finish I found them too depressing. I also hate my sisters keeper & had to read it for school & I hated it so much . I would boycott that book the end is stupid and I will never watch the movie or read it again.
I read the synopsis of this book just out of curiosity and wow. That really is the most unsatisfying ending. It basically slapped the reader in the face by erasing the point of the entire novel. I've found that I can't sit through romances like A Fault in Our Stars. I hate unrealistic characters and ridiculous plots with a "surprise" twist ending like I couldn't see that coming. I read 30-50 pages before I decided that that was not it.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

Thank you! I read Pride and Prejudice a few years ago and didn't understand the hype either. I usually love reading classic books, so I was really disappointed.

Also the Mortal Instruments series. I tried to read it twice and lost interest after the first few books.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Don't tar me but Atlas Shrugged. It's a literary classic but I couldn't get past 4 pages before throwing in the towel.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”