How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Re: How do you deal with unfamiliar words?

Post by Juliar252 »

If I am reading on my computer or have my phone nearby I will look up any unfamiliar words online, but if I don't I will usually just figure out their meaning from context.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

One of the advantages of reading on my phone is that I could easily do a quick search of the word. I take a screenshot of the meaning and try to use it in a sentence.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I try to figure out what the word means based on the sentence it's in, if I can't do that I'll look it up or mark it so that I can look it up later. I try not to skip over them because I feel like I've missed information I shouldn't have and little details are the kind of things that make the story for me.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I somewhat like to come across unfimilar words. Though some of them I may not get the correct pronouncation of them I like to look them up so that I get a clear understanding of what there meaning is so that I can tie that into the story that I came across it in as well as for future references. I also like the fact that they expand my vocabulary or have the ability to anyways.b
Chelsea N. Hackett
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I immediately get a dictionary and look it up. then I reread it in the book to understand the context in which it was used.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

When I find an unfamiliar word, I do two things. Sometimes, I just ignore it for the time if the flow of the plot is not disturbed. Otherwise, I looked up for meaning.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I tend to use the context the word is in, but if there are still many possible meanings then I turn to google lol
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

As long as I understand the gist of what is being said, I would go on reading. But for some, I would stop and pick up a dictionary.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

In recent times, the books I read contain very simple words which make my reading smooth. perhaps, this might be due to the kind of genre I prefer reading.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Biel »

As English is not my native language (Spanish is, though) I find quite interesting, entertaining and educational to learn new words while reading. So to be honest, I like to keep my phone close to me while I read because that way, anytime if I reaaaally don't understand a word (let's say I couldn't deduct or infer the meaning of it by it's context) I get to learn new words and this helps a lot with my vocabulary :D
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I usually look at the context in which the word is used and figure it out from there. Now that I have my own kindle, though, I've found that the dictionary feature works wonders for helping me learn what words mean.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ragnar Lothbrok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragnar-lothbrok.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Ragnar Lothbrok »

I try to understand the context to avoid looking up the unfamiliar words. And if I happen to be confused after rereading the words multiple times, I have to look up the meaning of them.
That results in learning new words that ultimately helps me improve my vocabulary!
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I usually read on my Kindle so having to take out my phone just to google new words isn't a hassle for me, I just highlight it right on my Kindle and find it's definition.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

I like to look up new words, and I do so on my cell phone. I enjoy learning new words.
Zialex
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zialex »

Any word I encounter I write it down and look it up for later. I do this when I have difficulty interpreting the meaning, which depending on the book isn't that much of a problem in terms of reading it. However if I have to do that to much then I often predict I'm likely gonna have to read it again, and again. As a result I have a lot of lists of words, I enjoy collecting them. I love thesauruses and keep one near at all times, Rogets being my favorite one.

I've been meaning to learn other languages so that I can read books from other cultures, and countries, but haven't got around to it yet. I use to enjoy crossword puzzles, not so much anymore, probably because there not much fun anymore. Even when I was younger learning words was always something that just came easily to me. So, I actually prefer spelling games over word find games, and enjoy learning ridiculiously long words(like verisimilitude, prestidigitation, or Otolaryngologist) just so I can see if I can spell them out to myself later. I enjoy the challenge of it. Also word games where instead of guessing the words, you have to guess the definitions is also more fun for me. Also word types like anagrams, and palindromes is also where it's at for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”