Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Re: Have you ever read the Bible cover to cover?

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

Yes, I have read through the whole Bible. I come from a very religious family, so every night when we pray, my dad would include a little excerpt from the Bible. I think it took us about 2 years to read the entire book.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

ZenaLei7 wrote:Yes, I have read through the whole Bible. I come from a very religious family, so every night when we pray, my dad would include a little excerpt from the Bible. I think it took us about 2 years to read the entire book.
How I wish I could say the same. It's always a goal but sadly never reached so far. I hope I can do this within my lifetime.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

I haven't read the bible cover to cover but I'm familiar with all the books therein. It's something I've been meaning to do
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Yes, I have read the entire Bible, but some of the Old Testament stuff was really tough getting through!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
martin98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by martin98 »

Each time I read the Bible from cover to cover, it takes roughly a year or so. I try to follow a reading plan so that I can cover everything. I generally set myself the timeline of one year, so that I know how to pace myself. I do not always achieve that but I continually try and never give up.
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I've read the entire "new testament", starting with revelation and going to Matthew. I've also read much of the "old Testament".
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I have a couple of times, but I don't know how much of it I retained. It felt like I forgot what I was reading as I read it.
AlainaElric
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by AlainaElric »

I was told it was best to start with the New Testament. I've been through Genesis and Leviticus though and I am reading Matthew.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

AlainaElric wrote: 06 Feb 2018, 15:41 I was told it was best to start with the New Testament. I've been through Genesis and Leviticus though and I am reading Matthew.
I have heard that too, maybe that's what I'll try next time.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I started it but never finished. Maybe someday I'll try again. I do know a lot of stories from it and mostly I like them, so maybe...
miriamjoyreads
Currently Reading: King Arthur's Enchantresses
Bookshelf Size: 524
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriamjoyreads.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by miriamjoyreads »

Not exactly... I started from the beginning and got as far as Psalms when I was about fourteen, which is a big chunk of it. And I've read most of the New Testament in bits and pieces here and there, so I'm really only missing the prophets and the Apocrypha. (I've read Tobit, but that's about it.) I've also read Enoch, if that counts? (It doesn't count. I know.)
awofisayo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by awofisayo »

I have read Bible from Genesis to Revelation once.
DennisK
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: Light in August
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dennisk.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by DennisK »

I have tried to read the bible from cover to cover, but I only got as far as Psalms. At that point, I realized I was completely confused. I knew no more than when I first started Genesis. Who were all these kings, and who were they fighting – other Jews, or non-Jews, and why exactly?
I began a new approach. I sought out historical novels in an attempt to attribute some humanity to the characters in the bible – to make them seem real. After I gain some familiarity with these characters, and their time and place within history, I plan to start again with Genesis. So far I have read about 16 novels – some by Lynn Austin, Shlomo Kalo, William Stephens, Yochi Brands … to name a few.
I wonder what other people seek from the Bible: A better understanding of God, or a better understanding of humanity.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

I have read version of Bible with beautifully detailed colorful pictures to complement the stories, that was created for kids to get to know the content, when I was little. I read it as a fairytales of strange sort with Jesus being a nice guy and most other characters usually completely bonkers in the stories.
The regular Bible I have from time to time just thumbed through and read a verse or two sometimes, but I have this mild aversion to organized religion, so it just isn't something that calls to me.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I have read the whole Bible though not in order, and as you say, not for religious purposes. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”