Is anyone else uncomfortable with romance?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cutienerdy21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutienerdy21.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor

Re: Is anyone else uncomfortable with romance?

Post by Cutienerdy21 »

I’m okay with the hot and steamy stuff and sometimes love it if the author is really good. But there are a lot of those also who makes my eyes roll and just keep flipping the book only stopping for their conversations and then moving on again.
But I love the hot and steamy because every now and then, it became an integral part of their romance story. Especially scenes when the heroine describes how she felt cherished and loved as the hero look directly into her eyes filled with passion and love as they “doing the naughty” (according to an Aussie heroine I’ve just read) or I like to call it making love.

But sometimes, which is happening more frequently with newly released romance books, I rolled my eyes and keep flipping.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html
Latest Review: "See Bride Run!" by Charlotte Hughes

Post by khudecek »

I hate being blindsided by threesomes and gay sex. It's happened twice in the last few months. It's okay if you want to read that stuff, but at least give a warning in the blurb.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I think if I'm truly invested in the characters, then I'm mostly ok with it. With that being said though, some of the more "graphic" stuff can come off to me as contrived and lackluster, in which I usually end up rolling my eyes and sighing.

To put into perspective, I liked 50 Shades of Grey. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all with those scenes. I read The Bonding by Imogen Keeper and those scenes were very graphic and made me slightly uncomfortable and elicited the eye rolling-sighing reaction out of me, but I really enjoyed the rest of the book and the plot.

I think it really depends on the writing for me, as well as how attached I am to the romance between the characters.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
IanYanny
Currently Reading: The Lovely Bones
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ianyanny.html
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo

Post by IanYanny »

You're not alone on this one. I usually skip those erotic scenes especially if it is too detailed. Nowadays, I double check the genre. If it is labeled romance erotic, then no. If romance drama or anything else, then yes.
Latest Review: "Life Before" by K.L. Romo
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

Haha I definitely feel awkward reading those scenes. The worst was when I was reading a horror book in the break room at work and all of a sudden there was a huge explicit sex scene. I'm sure I turned all shades of red worrying that people would be reading over my shoulder!
Lincolnshirelass
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lincolnshirelass »

I'm fine with sex scenes as part of a committed (though not necessarily marital) relationship, but only as part of the book and not its prime focus. Having said that, I have been known to read the odd Bodice Ripper....!!!
An Eye for an Eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi
Valton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valton.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Valton »

Among my best choice of books, romantic novels happen to be the majority cause am into reading them.I find the falling in love, relationship part so sweet, but when i came across romantic novels that are so graphical that totally throws me off and if the story is unrealistic and obvious then i can term that as 'uncomfortable'?.
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
khudecek
Favorite Author: Depends on Genre
Favorite Book: The Angel and the Outlaw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khudecek.html

Post by khudecek »

Valton wrote:Among my best choice of books, romantic novels happen to be the majority cause am into reading them.I find the falling in love, relationship part so sweet, but when i came across romantic novels that are so graphical that totally throws me off and if the story is unrealistic and obvious then i can term that as 'uncomfortable'?.
Like The Fifty Shades of Grey? That first book about did me in. I didn't want to read anymore of that. My sister begged me to read the second book. I did and was impressed enough to read the third.

I love a good bodice ripper, too. :D
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

~~
"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

Well, I love romance as well. I like Nicholas Sparks' stories. Very well written and you do not find that explicit scenes there. Also, I like watching Korean dramas. I love these dramas because the plots are interesting. The characters are well developed and you fall in love when they do too. Best of all, you do not see any uncomfortable scene at all. :D
Agenaton member
Currently Reading: Power of Now
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Agenaton member »

I love reading romantic books and at the same time, they make me feel awkward. I sometimes find myself in the imaginary realm and Oopps! I get horny.
kingslexasoh1000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119

Post by kingslexasoh1000 »

I am comfortable/okay with love but don't have one in my life????
:tiphat:
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I like a good love story whether it comes with a scene like that or not. I don't, however, read the really steamy romances that constitute a genre. I prefer a drama that simply incorporates romance but doesn't revolve around it.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Wow, I didn't know people felt this way. I thought romance readers wanted the steamy stuff!
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I feel that romance scenes are sometimes too over flogged, it doesn't hold my interest and it is repulsive at times.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Hawgangel67 wrote: 19 Jul 2016, 20:59 I grew up reading Harlequins, and I love them! Now, however, if I were to have to read one, I am pretty sure that it would have me in a state of giggles. The names that they give the male love interest in the stories are hilarious. The authors think they are nice, strong, hunky names, but really....Stone Carter was a handsome devil, with eyes of steel and muscles that could shred paper in one fell swoop. Haha. Maybe they write them better now? If so, please give me a good example of one and I will gladly read it.
oh my gosh me too, lol! When the word "girth" is used for the first time in the story, that's when they lose me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”