I miss reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Anacoana
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: More plentiful than cloud wisps
Currently Reading: Snuff by Terry Pratchett
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anacoana.html

Re: I miss reading

Post by Anacoana »

I'd suggest finding an old favorite, one you loved to bits and painted vibrant pictures in your mind. Throw yourself back into that, and hopefully like me you'll be able to read normally again.
TammyO
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Persuasion
Currently Reading: The Husbands Secret
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tammyo.html
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by TammyO »

I also miss those days when I could read for hours and hours and yes hours! without interruption. Its really kind of bittersweet because the precious moments that I find to read mean so much to me; I do treasure my alone time even more in this way..I sometimes read for an hour or two in the bath. I also enjoy reading for an hour or so at night before bed.

Alas' those days of endless reading may be gone. However, finding precious, undisturbed moments to enjoy your love of reading can also bring fulfillment as well.
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." ~Tom Clancy
Latest Review: "Double Identity" by Jaye C Blakemore
pagenumber394
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pagenumber394.html

Post by pagenumber394 »

I read so much all the time. I feel like I can never get enough. I wish I could quit adulthood. It is taking up too much of my reading time.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I've started a new temporary job with different shifts. Mostly I read in weekends without interruptions now, for hours. I have less time for books during week days with this job. I do read during lunch breaks regularly, but that's not as enjoyable as reading at home. So I'm always looking forward to Saturdays and Sundays, knowing hours of reading are waiting for me. :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

While I'm still an avid reader, I no longer am able to get "lost" in a book like I did as a child/teenager. I've got all of the typical adult responsibilities now and I've accepted the fact that I just don't have that luxury right now. However, my mom tells me that I'll have more spare time when my son is grown, so I know that this stage is temporary.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

That's true. My son is 15 now, I also have a daughter who is 17. When they were still little, I also had less time for books. Now that they're teenagers, I can read for hours at a time.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I feel like that a lot lately. Rarely do I become so engrossed in a book do I get lost in it. And it's not that they aren't good books, there is just so much going on throughout the day and even when I am trying to unwind that it just isn't possible. My world revolves around my three little ones even when I am reading.
ksjennin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksjennin.html

Post by ksjennin »

I call it a book hangover sometimes
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

Yes...It happens like this to me. Between school activities and other engagements, I hardly have time to read but I try read whenever I have a free time.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

I miss reading as well. I hardly ever read these days. In fact, the books I review here are the few I get to read. There's really no time, especially since school takes up so much time and my course is particularly time consuming. When you get a chance to take a breather, all you want to do is sleep. I miss the days when I could comfortably spend most of my day reading and still stay up all night. Now if I stay an hour or two doing something other than reading law books, I just feel really guilty. I wish I had all the time I used to have.
vaz222
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vaz222.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by vaz222 »

I feel like this a lot. When I'm at work I think about how I wish I had brought my book with me to read during break. This feeling is hard for those of us who are very busy. I need more free time.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Yes, there are only very few times when I can choose the complete duration of my reading and have no distractions during it. Usually it's between obligations that keep on arising. If you have two kids, then always something needs to be done and always someone needs something the exact moment you sit down and get a book in your hands. Nap time was my favorite, when I was outside with my younger kid in a buggy and he was asleep for hours and I just got sit on a park bench and read.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

The only thing I miss about reading is not finding enough time to read. Like stated above, there are so many things competing for our time.
Mammacd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mammacd.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Mammacd »

I completely understand. There was a time after my children were born that I felt like this. I felt like reading was linked directly to my mental health. If I can't get lost in a book, I become sullen and despondent. I make time everyday. I find I need less sleep now that I've gone years functioning on 4-5 hours a day, so even if it's a late night reading, I make time.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”