Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I prefer hardcover but lately I have been reading mostly on my kindle because it’s easier than carrying a book around with me.
Bookhoardernicole
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookhoardernicole »

I collect books. I normally try to find hardcovers, but in a pinch will buy a paperback version as a placeholder of sorts until I find a hardcover. As a note, I generally don’t pay more than five dollars for any book, so I’m not spending as much as one would think. :)
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

Hardcovers but they're really expensive 😭
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
Mariah7francis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariah7francis.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mariah7francis »

I prefer paperback to hardcover It's much more easier to handle as I please.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I love hard backed books. I love feel of the pages and even the smell of them as well. Interestingly enough though, I am not choosy when picking a book up to read, I just prefer them to paper-backed books. Although I agree that paper backed books are easier for me to handle and carry.
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White
Isabelleva
Currently Reading: The Fountainhead
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelleva.html
Latest Review: Love Hope and Promise by NaylaBurns

Post by Isabelleva »

I far prefer the heft of having a hard copy book in my hands. There is something about the weight that is very satisfying. However, there is also something to be said about the bendability of soft cover books. It molds in your hand and that is a great feeling.
AniB

Post by AniB »

Paperback, but if I want to add it to my library or if it's only available in one format I'll buy it in hardcover.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I prefer the look and durability of hardcover, but when I'm actively reading, I prefer the comfortability of paperback.
timoseaotter
Currently Reading:

Post by timoseaotter »

I personally don't care as much as other people but if I had to choose it would be hardcover. There is something about holding a harder more sturdier book and if you put it on a shelf it wont fall as easily. Though paperback is easier since its cheaper and its easier to fit in a bag :D
spellbindingstories
Currently Reading: Across the Universe (Across the Universe #1)
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by spellbindingstories »

I think it depends... Paperbacks are much easier for me to hold and bring around with me so I love reading them on the go. However, if I really like a book, I buy it in hardcover since they tend to last longer. So, I guess a mixture of both! Paperbacks for reading, and hardcovers for collecting!
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I'm happy either way, as long as I have a physical copy of the book! :) Although, when it's a really long book, I sometimes prefer a paperback because it's not as heavy!
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

Where was the option for Kindle? ;)

For real, I have both. I like hardbacks to collect, if it's a special book I just adore and want to have a pristine copy of, I'll get a hardback and keep it on my shelf. I'll buy new or random books in paperback. Holiday reads, for example, are better in paperback to me because they're lighter and easy to carry.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
YaileneV2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by YaileneV2 »

Personally i prefer a lot more paperback, it's just easier to read and to take it with you. Hardcover is sooo pretty but i'd be scared to damage it if i take the books somewhere with me. :P
Codmeister1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Codmeister1 »

Generally it is paperback for me unless it is a book that I know I will want to keep for a long time or will reread multiple times.
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

I have numerous books, and I like them as hardback especially if I save the whole series. I love used book stores, auctions, and 2nd hand shops and that is where I get my books at very reasonable costs. I once flew on a plane and had a hardcover with me, and some remarked on how old the book was. To me, at the time it did not seem old, but looking at the copywrite date, I saw it as the early 1970s. Oh, the days of the science fiction books club, cookbook clubs, and fiction book clubs when you could get four books free and only have to join the Book of the month club. So, I definitely a hardcover person.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”