Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DrPatti8454
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: Death Trap
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drpatti8454.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by DrPatti8454 »

Hardback books have a scent all their own and I could breathe it in all day long and half the night.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Depends on where I’m reading. On the train or traveling I prefer paperbacks. But at home I tend to grab a hardcover.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Willowtreewanders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowtreewanders.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Willowtreewanders »

Paperback for me, hardbacks are just too heavy and they take up too much room on my bookshelves. However, if someone buys me one I’m always grateful!! :D
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

I love paperback. Mostly because I curl into a ball when reading and it is easier to hold. I do love the smell of a good hard bound book though.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I cherish both paperhard and electronic books. When I joined the online book club, I discovered the existence of electronic books. Paperhard books summon one's discipline for their proper maintenance, but I still look forward to catching up on them.
slj3988
Currently Reading: Lord of the rings
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slj3988.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by slj3988 »

Paperback is more cost effective and easier to get. Sadly, they're not as durable. I just ordered a hardback copy of Labrynth from worldofbooks. It was actually the gorgeous cover that drew me to the book. I was absolutely gutted it arrived with no cover sleeve :(
Launi Keegan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Launi Keegan »

I prefer hard cover over paperback. Its easier for me to travel with a book knowing that its not going to be all bent when I pull it from my bag.
Oellisf925
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oellisf925 »

Paperback is sometimes more affordable than hardcover. Depending on my budget I may get paperback, but hardcover books are more durable so I would prefer hardcover. Most of my books are paperback but whether paperback or hardcover it doesn't take away from the material and that's what's most important.
DrPatti8454
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: Death Trap
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drpatti8454.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by DrPatti8454 »

Hardcover without dust jacket
Ryan L
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan-l.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Ryan L »

I personally believe that paperback is the superior choice due to it being inexpensive. As long as you make an effort to take somewhat proper care of your books, the paperback shouldn't be damaged. Hardcover is simply too expensive for a harder cover on a book.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I prefer paperbacks mostly for convenience, but my favorite books that I hope will last a long time are in hardback!
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Paperback, mostly because they are cheaper. But I also like that they are lighter and more bendable while reading; I kinda like bending back the front part while reading. However, nowadays, it's more of a choice between hardback and kindle if it's a new book and the paperback hasn't come out yet. I have a lot of stuff in storage already, so the kindle has become more appealing to not keep accumulating stuff; however, a hardcover or paperback can be loaned to a friend or family member.

I have also gotten the kindle when I wanted to start reading a book right away and don't want to wait to get it delivered. And now that my vision is not as good as it used to be, electronic versions are great for making the text bigger.

Lately I have also been thinking about going back to the library because I am finding so many books I want to read and I am also poor. So what version they have would influence me on that.

But ultimately I think I will pick what's the cheapest lol. In the last week I've been finding books where the paperback is cheaper than the kindle; that seems very strange to me. Guess they have too many non-electronic books on hand??
sevillagirl18
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevillagirl18.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by sevillagirl18 »

Hardcover for sure! So much easier to hold. Plus, I'm obsessed with respecting my books (AKA keeping them in pristine condition) which is so much harder to do with a paperback.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Definitely paperback because it's cheaper than a hardback and it's nicer to hold.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

For aesthetic reasons it has to be hardcover. They do look much nicer on a shelf, also harder to damage. However, paperback are easier to hold when reading. I love both. You can't beat a physical book. Much better than e-readers. Just a shame they take up so much more space!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”