Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Rlwise2623
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Rlwise2623 »

I prefer paperback for my personal reading, however if I really enjoy a book or series, I will purchase in hardback. I only give hardback, if possible, for gifts though.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Usually paperback, because I can stack my shelves to brim with them and hardbacks seem to take a lot more room. Also I never leave home without a book and hardbacks make it feel like you are carrying a brick with you in your handbag, which unless you are robbed isn't a very good thing.
Now if the third option would be e-book then I´d have even more hard time choosing.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Both. Since I have a genuine library at home, I like having hardcovers too :D , but because I can handle them easier and they are cheaper, I usually opt for paperbacks.
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I love hardcover books. Paperbacks are doubtless more convenient what with the portability and minmal weight.
Hardcovers, however, have this vibe that screams their real books.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

It's what is in between the covers that matters more. I have no preference, although I have tended to buy more new books in paperback due to cost. Also hardbacks can present a danger when reading in bed, and falling asleep. :)
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Hard covers are heavy and difficult to read in bed. I prefer soft covers any day... Hard covers remind me of school textbooks. Hehehe!
Autumn16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Autumn16 »

I wish I could say I don’t care whether my book is hard cover or paperback but that would be a lie. And simply the choice comes down to size, I have been given a small stature and with this I have ridiculously small hands so I tend to prefer paperbacks.
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html
Latest Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by E G Suth »

I try to get hardbacks if the book is a standalone or if I'm going to try to get it signed. Paperback if it's a long series though or it's too expensive as I'm broke :)
E G Suth
Currently Reading: The shock of the fall
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-g-suth.html

Post by E G Suth »

pinefamily wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:48 It's what is in between the covers that matters more. I have no preference, although I have tended to buy more new books in paperback due to cost. Also hardbacks can present a danger when reading in bed, and falling asleep. :)
I've never thought of that :lol: I guess you're in danger of hitting yourself in the face with a book if you fall asleep. It would be very funny for anyone else that saw it though.
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

E G Suth wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 10:13
pinefamily wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:48 It's what is in between the covers that matters more. I have no preference, although I have tended to buy more new books in paperback due to cost. Also hardbacks can present a danger when reading in bed, and falling asleep. :)
I've never thought of that :lol: I guess you're in danger of hitting yourself in the face with a book if you fall asleep. It would be very funny for anyone else that saw it though.
My wife finds great amusement in it if she's still awake.
On the plus side, it wakes you up enough to read some more.
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

I love both. Paperbacks because I can fit more on my shelves and carry them easily. Hardcovers are more durable and easier for me to read. If I know I'll reread the book, I def opt for hardcover.
JavaDaBud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-javadabud.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by JavaDaBud »

Well, like a lot of people, I always prefer reading the Hardcover, but I'm stuck with the Paperbacks because of the huge price gap between :/
To be honest, I think Paperbacks are really underrated. Even though it's true that Hardcover shapes up your bookshelf pretty good, and the pages in between doesn't fall apart after some time (unlike paperback), Paperback is a lot easier if you're some kind of a traveler. You can carry it around easily because of the elasticity and the weight of it. :techie-studyingbrown:
Pauliny12
Currently Reading: From drift to shift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pauliny12.html
Latest Review: Sigfried's Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Pauliny12 »

I like paperbacks as they are lightweight and easy to take to the beach and enjoy a day of getting together with others and reading. A story in itself!
Pauliny
"Never judge a book by its movie"
:techie-studyinggray:
kcunningham3714
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kcunningham3714 »

Hi
I'm a noob.
I usually buy paperback books, because they tend to be smaller, and more portable.
Wordforawhile
Favorite Author: Robert Jordan
Currently Reading: Darkfall
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordforawhile.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
fav_author_id: 2419

Post by Wordforawhile »

I have always preferred my books to be Hardcover. I have a large collection of paperback as well and they are certainly easier to carry around and more convenient to take with you where ever you go. The Hardcover books, however, just feel better in your hands while reading them (in my not so humble opinion). To each their own and all that, but my money will always be on hardcover... literally.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”