Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Petra1791
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petra1791.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Petra1791 »

I like paperbacks better for reading. They are lighter, and I don't mind if they get messed up. I also collect signed 1st editions in hardback, but I don't read them. I usually have the same story in paperback.
"I am enough."
- The Uncompromised Life
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

Paperbacks are easier to actually read and lighter to carry around, although hardbacks are awfully pretty :)
tforgas7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tforgas7.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by tforgas7 »

Paperback all the way! I do like how hardcovers look on a shelf, but I feel like they have to stay in pristine condition so I’m hesitant to take them places with me.
KitKat733
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by KitKat733 »

Paperback. It's usually easier to use and generally more convenient. Plus it ways less haha. The biggest upside to hardcover is that they are usually nicer looking.
AndreaCruz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AndreaCruz »

Most off the time i will go for paperback, for a couple of reasons, first they are cheaper than hardcovers, and second it is easier to carry them, but if I finish reading them and I really like the book, I will buy the hardcover for safekeeping and re-reading for home, because most of the time when I travel I exchange the paperback version for an other book, usually an other paperback.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I like hard cover books because usually the print is big and clear. Sadly most of my books are paperback but one can dream☺.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
MelodyR24
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melodyr24.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by MelodyR24 »

For books that I buy I want hardcover for longevity. For books just to read in general, I don’t have a preference!
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

Most definitely paperback. It's easier to handle and move about. Also, it's easier to find.
grace crawford

Post by grace crawford »

I prefer hardcover over paperback because hardcovers don't rip or bend as easily. I don't have to as careful with a hardcover and to me, it's easier to hold!
cyberyamato12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by cyberyamato12 »

hardcover is a bit heavier and will protect your book for many years. if I have a special or important book I rather have it with hardcover than in paperback something made out of leather or something like that.
nadams4862

Post by nadams4862 »

I prefer to read a paper back book because it is more comfortable for my hands. However, I hate lending people paper back books because they get bent so easily, and not everyone is as cautious about keeping their books in nice condition as I am.
Elizabeth14
Currently Reading:

Post by Elizabeth14 »

I prefer paperback only because it is easier to hold and although it gets torn up more easily, it is cheaper than the hard cover so I don't mind as much.
CHewitt1811
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by CHewitt1811 »

I do prefer a hardback book, but I find that I always have to take the sleeve off while reading because I RUIN THEM!!!! I'm constantly stuffing the books in my bag and ripping covers.

If it's a book I know I'm going to keep I'll go ahead and get a hard cover as well. If I'm pretty positive I'm going to safe it in I'll get paperback for sure.
Ellie6us

Post by Ellie6us »

I much prefer paperbacks to hardbacks. I like the feel. And they’re not too heavy or cumbersome.
KatiesReading
Currently Reading: Strange the Dreamer
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by KatiesReading »

Definitely Paperbacks! Hardbacks hurt much more when you drop them on your face!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”