Paperback or Hardcover?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Paperback or Hardcover?

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Paperbacks, because they are cheaper, easy to carry around and easy to read lying in bed! Don't know why, seeing someone read hardcovers, or even reading one myself often seem very nerdy to me.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Paperback... it is easily to handle the book with it.
Lgs1089
Favorite Book: The Buried Secrets of Peonies
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lgs1089.html
Latest Review: Long Distance Flyer, G-EBFO. ISBN 978-1-78222-456-3 by Kenneth T Ward
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Lgs1089 »

I prefer to read smaller books in paperback and larger scale volumes in hardcover. I really like the pliability of paperback. Being able to shamefully bend the spine allows for multitasking of sorts. I can hold the book in one hand and have my pencil in the other to mark noteworthy passages. If the book is on a scale that I wouldn't be able to comfortably hold in one hand, that's when I like the hardcover. Hardcover seems to hold up over many years and can withstand the re-reads more so than paperback. If going for quality, definitely hardcover, but for ritual my vote is paperback.
L.G. Stewart
"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together." :wine:
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I prefer paperbacks because they are smaller, lighter and less expensive. However, I will buy a hard cover if it is a coffee table book or a book with beautiful pictures in it.
Catherine Davis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-davis.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Catherine Davis »

Paperback are bendable but hardcover make great lap books. I prefer thinner books to be paperback because they handle easier, larger books in a hardcover, I read in a more relaxed environment where I can put my feet up.
Laplace
Currently Reading: Flax-Golden Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2119

Post by Laplace »

For me, I like paperbacks for carrying around but for collection and books I really love I get hardcover so they last longer. It would also depend on the cover if the paperback is that much better or fitting, to me, than the hardcover I would go for it no matter what, same with the reverse I would be willing to fork over a bit of an extra to get that cover I want.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

When giving one as a gift to someone, it would depend on my budget (especially to a budget-conscious mother that I am), what's available, and who I'd be giving it to.

I don't mind at all whether the book I am reading for leisure is on paperback or hardbound, or even if it has no cover because it is published online. I am more particular with the contents of the book itself.

If it's to be used as a display, a souvenir, or as a coffee table book, or for the library shelves, I'd go for a hard bound one that I could afford.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

Hmm... tough okay hardcovers don't tear up easily but thy are not easily folded for a better reading position while paperbacks easily rips apart. I don't know both?
Sariel88
Currently Reading: Demon Freaks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00I0FT792

Post by Sariel88 »

Hardcovers are nice but I think I prefer paperback because they are less expensive and easier to carry around. I remember getting sticker shock when I compared hardcover to paperback, though maybe it was just the store I visited...Though if it's a collectible I would rather have a hardcover version.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

BookMePlease wrote: 11 Mar 2009, 13:56 Paperbacks for me! I take books everywhere and the hardcovers are too clunky.
I totally agree, and it is always nice to have a lighter bag!
davis4607
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by davis4607 »

I prefer the hardback cover only because its easier to keep them in good condition. But when it comes to price-wise I guess I'm a paper back fan only because I try to be a penny-pincher lol
Hannah Mo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-mo.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hannah Mo »

I personally love hard back because then I have something to grip onto. Plus it wont get ruined as easy as a paperback would. However, if the paperback is cheaper and I really want the book I'll get it.
Ray_27-7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ray-27-7.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Ray_27-7 »

I'm fine with either version. I always preferred printed books over ebooks . I like to actually hold the book in my hand. But I would settle for ebooks if I had no other choice.
Goldsten591
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Goldsten591 »

This is a difficult question. Both have their own benefits and respective drawbacks. Hardcover tend to be significantly better quality, easier to hold when reading, and have a more appealing aesthetic when sitting on the shelf. Hardcover books also tend to be more expensive and harder to transport due to their larger average size and rigidity. Paperbacks are less expensive and more easily transported but are also prone to damage and have a less appealing appearance. Due to present constraints, I am forced to stick with paperbacks. However, I much prefer hardcover.
Jillpillbooknerd
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 1908
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jillpillbooknerd.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Jillpillbooknerd »

I love paperback. I just feel like you can really see how much someone loves a book by the shape that their paperback is in. I can also shove more of them into my purse because they're smaller :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”