Reading Graphic Novels vs. Reading Regular Novels

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Reading Graphic Novels vs. Reading Regular Novels

Post by moderntimes »

Watchmen is exceptional, as I see it. And Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" essentially restarted the premium level of graphic novels.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
KrystalG

Post by KrystalG »

I really enjoy both. If I'm looking for a quick, little-thinking read, I go for a graphic novel. If I want to sit for a while and get lost in a world, I prefer a standard novel. With a graphic novel, you are given the characters and settings and everything in the artist's interpretation of the story. While in a standard novel, the interpretation is completely up to you. I think that is the major difference. They are comparable in the way can transport you to another time and place through writing on a page. I think graphic novel writers can learn how to have deeper conversations between their characters like most standards novels have, and I think standard fiction writers can learn how to write in a way where the readers can picture the stories in their minds as detailed as graphic novel writers are able to do through the artwork. Those are my thoughts on the topic.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Good comments, Krystal.

As a novelist, as I said before, I work hard to set up visualizations of the chapters in my books, focusing on trying to carefully make the descriptions as visual as possible, so as to carry the reader into the scene. My task is a bit easier than a fantasy writer, because my stories are modern private detective novels, so I don't have to, for example, tell the readers how cars or TVs or other things work, whereas a fantasy writer has to paint an image of maybe a castle or wizard's lair which has zero foundation till the author sets it up. I just take a real scene and put my characters into it, which works fine. Here's a brief excerpt from my new novel, where my private eye and his pal David Meierhoff are having a beer. Hopefully this gives the reader a good description:

Homicide Detective David Meierhoff and I were hanging out and drinking beer, sitting at a picnic table on the front patio of the West Alabama Icehouse. I had my regular Budweiser longneck but David was experimenting with one of those trendy new brews that came in a slender faux-metallic bottle and featured pushy TV commercials with lots of CGI and boldly energetic young people parasailing or mountain climbing, all in slow motion. I speculated silently whether both beers were filled from the same vat, his bottle simply costing a half buck more.
It was a normal spring afternoon in Houston, about ninety-two degrees. But we had a good breeze, humidity was thankfully low and our beers were frosty cold. The Icehouse owner had also recently installed a big aluminum sunshade over the picnic table area, so we weren’t glared upon directly by Our Mister Sun. An engaging setup on a non-busy afternoon, the Houston version of a German Biergarten.
Meierhoff and I were concentrating intently on being unproductive, idly watching traffic rumble along the street in front of the tavern and less idly observing the newest barmaid, Annie. She had curly blonde hair, eager blue eyes, a voluptuous figure and looked about sixteen, although I knew she already had a BA and was working toward her master’s in marketing.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I think that graphic novels have a unique opportunity to include "easter eggs". I think they could take foreshadowing and run with it.

Not saying they don't have foreshadowing, just saying that they have the ability to really knock it out of the park.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I have read a couple. I tend to search out ones that are either telling a complex story or retelling a classic that I have already read. For example, just recently I read the Marvel version of Moby Dick and absolutely loved it. They shortened it (obviously) but used much of the actual text for parts of the book. They did an amazing job and I have enjoyed consuming a book that I loved in a different "medium" (I am fully aware that it is technically the same medium).
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

Regular novels are much more in depth with characterization, dialogue and plot. That is why I like reading regular novels because of all those rich details. Graphic novels set a time that regular novels can't. They give you imagery and sometimes people feel like they are closer to characters in graphic novels because you can actually SEE what they are experiencing.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Buchacha21
Currently Reading: China Virus
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buchacha21.html
Latest Review: Kindred Journeys by Marjorie Tapley-Olson

Post by Buchacha21 »

I have looked at a few graphic novels, but I can't say I've ever actually read one. To me, one of the greatest enjoyments of reading is being able to use my imagination while I read. The graphic novel format steals that joy from me. I can definitely see the importance of providing graphic novels to children who struggle with reading or finding something interesting to read, or perhaps with learning to read in another language. But in general, I love the freedom of interpretation when reading a traditional novel.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I know it's about a year later after this forum started but I read most of the stringed comments and I want to contribute my two cents. I think GN and normal novels are very different in that while everyone who reads a normal novel draws up different mind images of the characters and settings with the GN everyone has the same image of the setting and characters. I once read a book by a British author (can;t remember the name nor the book really) but s/he did a really good job by inserting a drawing of an object so that the reader can grasp the idea and not be confused by a detailed description that may still leave the reader hazy about the object.

I would also like to say that I find that the Japanese cater for both children and adult readers interested in graphic novels. They are called manga and popular ones are made into anime (cartoons). Some are even based from Light Novels that can also be found online. For example, The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. I was happy to see that somebody mentioned Death Note (very popular thriller manga).
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

My goodness...I have become a comic book geek, and this thread allows me to see where it all started. :faint:

Lazarus is so good, ya'll!
Forever is my girl!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
cxsimpson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cxsimpson.html
Latest Review: How to Generate and Earn Royalty Income by Marina Peters

Post by cxsimpson »

Graphic novels have made so many kids read that wouldn't without them, so I think they're great.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

I prefer reading regular novels as some of the graphic novels that I've read so far has major differences for me. The novel's interpretation is not that accurate.
readsbyarun
Favorite Book: Wilderness Cry
Currently Reading: Spirituality in the 21st Century
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readsbyarun.html
Latest Review: Rescuing General Patton by Curtis Stephen Burdick

Post by readsbyarun »

The regular novels are better ones. Thought I enjoy reading the graphics novel The non-graphical ones helps me to develop a better imagination of the stories.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”