Would you re-read a book you hated?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Daret Koudenkova
Currently Reading: Elizabeth I
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daret-koudenkova.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Would you re-read a book you hated?

Post by Daret Koudenkova »

There are books that are mandatory for us to read in school or university , or sometimes we start reading them for our personal enjoyment, only to leave them unfinished. Would you give such a book a second chance? Maybe I was too young, or not concentrated enough, but there are several books hanging in my bookshelf that I simply didn't finish and I don't exactly want to get rid of. What are your thoughts ?! :)
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I have recently considered re-reading two books from my freshman year of high school: Great Expectations and The Human Comedy. I didn't really care for either one, but I was going through some very negative things during that time, and I had a bad attitude about everything in general. Perhaps now I could appreciate them more.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
Denise Hill
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Denise Hill »

Absolutely! Times changes, attitudes change, perspectives change and most importantly people change. I am not the same person I was when I first read the book--whether it was years ago or a couple of weeks ago. We are constantly changing and experiencing new things. New experiences effect your perspective. I love things I used to hate and hate what I used to love. I am definitely open to revisiting past experiences! :D
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I have given books I initially hated another chance. Sometimes I still hate them, but I do get ones that I fall in love with. ?
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Daret Koudenkova
Currently Reading: Elizabeth I
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daret-koudenkova.html

Post by Daret Koudenkova »

I agree ! I know exactly what LivreAmour217 means, the state of mind we are in while reading a bout affects us tremendously. Especially when we know we are ''forced'' to read them (for school etc). There are some books like The Little Prince that people understand differently depending on their age and I think a person needs to reach a certain mental state before being able to fully understand and enjoy a novel. Bluemel4 I hope I get as lucky as you and fall in love with some books too !
DATo

Post by DATo »

Sure. I already know it will bore me and thus make the time pass more slowly giving me an artificial sense of a longer life *Wink*

Reminds me of a joke ... The doctor tells his patient he has only two months to live. The patient says he is going to go right home and call his mother-in-law and ask her to come and live with him and his wife. "I see," said the doctor "you must really love your mother-in-law huh?" The patient replies, "Hell no, I hate her guts." To which the befuddled doctor asks, "Then why would you want to spend your remaining two months of life with her?" "Simple," replies the patient, "she will make two months seems like twenty years."

And now, back to the previously recored program ......
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Jenn_Jenn
Currently Reading: The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Jenn_Jenn »

I actually do this on occasion, just to see if my literary tastes have changed over the years/months since I last read a book I didn't enjoy. However, I'll be honest, if on the second go around it still makes me wish to cry at the thought of picking it up, I simply put it down and don't waste the time on it because life is too short to read books you don't connect with on some level. (Except textbooks which are, an unfortunate necessity in some cases)
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Not really, unless I was convinced to give it another chance. There are too many books I didn't read to waste my time on books I hated.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

It would come down to why I didn't finish the book.
I don't have many DNF's, and of those only a few I would say I hated. The others just didn't match my tastes at the time I first picked them up.
Those I often think of picking back up, but the ones I seriously don't like, there's a reason. I don't give up on a book easily.
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

gali wrote:Not really, unless I was convinced to give it another chance. There are too many books I didn't read to waste my time on books I hated.
Ditto, I have to stand by not really. However, I'll attempt Gone Girl later in the summer.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
janae811
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janae811.html

Post by janae811 »

It depends on the reason I hated it. I read a couple of books in highschool and thought they were trash (probably because they were mandatory ) but read them a few years later and loved them. When you are younger you think differently. Then get older and look at it in a different light.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

janae811 wrote:It depends on the reason I hated it. I read a couple of books in highschool and thought they were trash (probably because they were mandatory ) but read them a few years later and loved them. When you are younger you think differently. Then get older and look at it in a different light.
I would agree totally ... not only is "youth wasted on the young" (George Bernard Shaw ) but many books are too. :hand: But then I guess if you weren't introduced to these books you wouldn't have them to return to!
I hated Shakespeare in school but later got to love him - likewise with Beckett and many others.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

My initial answer is no. There are so many books to read with so little time. However if somebody else reads it and points out many things I missed, and these points pique my interest, I may go back and revisit it. Sometimes I find I may have hated it because I didn't fully understand it. It's a fine line. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

I would like to say that I'd give unfinished books a try again, but when I look at the few books I have on my "could not finish" list (couldn't, not just didn't!) I can remember the specific reasons for why I gave each one up...

Since I remember those reasons so well, I feel like they're all I would be thinking of if I tried to start over fresh.
CaitCupcake
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitcupcake.html
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum
Reading Device: B00KHAFI9G

Post by CaitCupcake »

I would like to think that I'm going to give them another chance, hence why I didn't immediately throw them away, in reality though I'm not sure if I ever will. I have so many to be read books on my shelves that I'm looking forward to that I don't really want to go back and re-read a disliked book.
Latest Review: "Kept" by L. B. Plum

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”