Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
1ditzyrn
Favorite Book: Desire
Currently Reading: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1ditzyrn.html
Latest Review: Genesis (The Infinity Series, Vol.2) by Bellamy Westbay
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Were you always a reader?

Post by 1ditzyrn »

I've always been a reader. We traveled a lot when I was a child and I would entertain myself on the long car trips with a stack of books. It is a hobby that has continued on into adulthood.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

My parents bought me lots of books growing up so I spent a great amount of my time reading. So I guess I've always been a reader, just haven't realized it until lately.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

Yes I was. In my childhood my parents had to actually take my books away and ground me to the outside. In the 2nd grade I was reading at I believe 5th and 6th grade reading levels, however I wasn't able to choose what books I wanted to read so I started acting out, and purposely failing my reading quizzes. apparently the teacher told my mother I was stupid and needed testing done to see if I needed help. once my mother pointed out she was making the wrong choice of forcing me to read books below my personal reading level the teacher realized I was in no way stupid and she recanted her statement. even my year and a half of college was dedicated to becoming an English teacher, but now with a 9 month old baby who was born premature I stay home. I was struggling with what to do with myself until I found this site and this community. Thank you guys for being here!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

No. But I'd like to think so sometimes 😂

I started reading when I was twelve and I never stopped since. I'm 23 now.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
joolay69
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joolay69.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by joolay69 »

yes I always loved reading ! Seeing my mother always reading on the evening, as soon I could read I was doing the same, and reading for hours before sleeping.
I only decreased the amount of book I was reading while I was studying at uni as I was spending instead most evening studying.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
OpinionatedEducator
Currently Reading: Pachinko
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-opinionatededucator.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by OpinionatedEducator »

Yep! My mom bought me books for Christmas, birthdays, just because...
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

Yep, I've been reading for as long as I can remember! To this day, I still take a book with me everywhere I go!
Cristina Biel
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Biel »

Yes. Truth be told, for as far as I can remember I enjoyed reading (elementary school and so). Obviously my preferences of books have changed and matured during time but reading is an old habit, and you know what they say; old habits die hard.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I've been a reader ever since I learned how. I had long bus rides in the morning, so I had a lot of time every day to read. As I've gotten a family of my own, my reading has gone down dramatically. I'm trying to get back into it, but I'll never be at the level I was. I was checking out new books every other day :shock: I love the kindle unlimited now. It's like an online library.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Eclecticmama wrote: 30 Apr 2019, 21:58 I've been a reader ever since I learned how. I had long bus rides in the morning, so I had a lot of time every day to read. As I've gotten a family of my own, my reading has gone down dramatically. I'm trying to get back into it, but I'll never be at the level I was. I was checking out new books every other day :shock: I love the kindle unlimited now. It's like an online library.
I hope that you will be able to renew your love of reading. It is an amazing hobby - I am constantly on the lookout for new and interesting books.
rakara
Favorite Author: Paige Dearth
Currently Reading: Bad Choices Make Good Stores
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reading Device: B0051VVOB2
fav_author_id: 8753

Post by rakara »

Yes, I have always enjoyed reading. Sometimes, I can't read as often as I would like but I always return to it.

When I was a child, my stepfather would include no reading any books except textbooks as a punishment. At home, reading was my hobby. I needed an escape. A book provided that.
wendy h25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110

Post by wendy h25 »

Yes but I really started being obsessed with reading during middle school because I didn't have a lot of homework then but now I barely have time to sleep :crying-yellow:
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

My parents taught me how to read very early in my life. Having my mom teach me words is one of my earliest memories. I guess I just picked up a book then and never quite stopped.
Zialex
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zialex »

Due to my upbringing I would say yeah I was, I just didn't know it. I read my first book, that is, the book that I chose to read on my own, in my early twenties. Pryor to that time I hardly read at all, granted I never hated it or not liked it, some how I never got around to doing it. I mostly drew a lot when I was kid not much reading, cartoons and video games, but reading not so much, at least not pure word books. It was only until I discovered the internet is when I really caught on to reading, and wanted to do it more. Which was mostly due to the stuff I was learning about. Also my father, and a close friend of mine nudged me along, so my best friend and my father were the ones who really sealed the deal on me being an active reader. But I think the drive was their in my early beginnings words came naturally to me(and still do), even when I had to read in school I wouldn't mind it was never a chore to me. it was kind of fun actually I just tend to think that there wasn't enough spark is all. Otherwise I would of read a lot sooner.

So yeah I would have to say yeah for as long as I remember I've always been a reader at heart even though I didn't actively start until my twenties. Now I can't stop thinking about reading, I obsess over it, I'm always writing down book titles, from previous books I've read, and fill up my amazon wish-list with mostly books. I always keep at least one book I'm reading near me at all times. I like to learn new about book, and reading facts, and statistics. I like to read about reading, and books. Anything having to do with reading and books on it like a moth to a flame.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

I think I've always been a reader, I learned how to read at age 3 without help (I didn't go to school at that age and y parents didn't teach me, so I don't know how that happened hahaha). I haven't stopped reading ever since, anything that came my way. Although there was a rough spot when I was in high school, because I didn't like the books they forced me to read, but loved when I could choose one myself.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”