Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Re: Were you always a reader?

Post by JennyorAlice »

Yes, I've always been a reader. I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading. Even before I was old enough to read on my own, I liked it when someone would read to me. But reading never did start at a certain age for me or with a certain book. It was something that has always been with me my entire life.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I don't always read. Sometimes I take a lot of time doing other stuff, like drawing and writing. But when I'm suddenly in "reading season", I'd read a lot of books.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I wasn't, only since middle school have I been a reader. As a child, my parents didn't read to me So I wasn't interested until I was forced to read at school. Harry Potter and Goosebumps are what got me hooked on reading.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I started to read when I was in elementary school. But I remember I had a long period of not reading books some time during high school.
mddodgen
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mddodgen.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by mddodgen »

I learned to read before kindergarten. I was always a shy recluse, so books were my best friends. I could always be transported away from my alcoholic parents tirades by escaping into a book. When I had my nose in a book, sitting in my closet, they left me alone.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

Always :D I have very vivid memories (and the photos to back it up) of me reading books to my stuffed animals when I was about 3-4. I always loved reading assignments in school and when my dad read to me and my sister he always did different voices. My mom read to me as well, and she also patiently sat with me when i wanted to read to her... even if I was in the middle of a book and she had no idea what was going haha...

Scholastic book fairs were my favorite days ever.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Allybear
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Allybear »

Ever since I was a child I would crawl up in bed and read instead of doing my homework. I have always loved the escape from reality that reading brings. I can see myself reading up until I’m an old lady.
Astrid Galactic
Currently Reading: The Great Blue Hills of God
Bookshelf Size: 2049
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Astrid Galactic »

My mother use to take my brother and I to the library on occasion. Always loved those little excursions and the books that I took out. As I got a little older and independent enough to go on my own, my exploration around the library took me to different shelves. It was that fateful day when I took that turn to the other side of the library, into the Adult side, that my world was shaken to the core and my reading took off full force. When I could get away with it, I would fake being sick on a school day just so that I could stay home and stay in bed all day while totally immersing myself in a book. They were always good days.

Oh, that first book I read from the Adult side was Hubert Selby, Jr's Last Exit To Brooklyn. I had no idea that it had, at one time, been rated X and even banned. It was a bit rough but I realized that it was from the Adult side. Figured that was normal now that I'm not reading from the Children's side anymore. Little did I know. It all went weird from there. The whole pile of books that I brought home that day were some serious selections from Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest to Tom Wolf's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. I wasn't fooling around. About 6 books in all. Ended up reading every single one of them and loved them all.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Not really. School made reading not fun for me. I only read books when I had to do a book report. Now that I am older, I am reading more than I did as a child.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month

Post by gregs317 »

Astrid Galactic wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 16:57 My mother use to take my brother and I to the library on occasion. Always loved those little excursions and the books that I took out. As I got a little older and independent enough to go on my own, my exploration around the library took me to different shelves. It was that fateful day when I took that turn to the other side of the library, into the Adult side, that my world was shaken to the core and my reading took off full force. When I could get away with it, I would fake being sick on a school day just so that I could stay home and stay in bed all day while totally immersing myself in a book. They were always good days.

Oh, that first book I read from the Adult side was Hubert Selby, Jr's Last Exit To Brooklyn. I had no idea that it had, at one time, been rated X and even banned. It was a bit rough but I realized that it was from the Adult side. Figured that was normal now that I'm not reading from the Children's side anymore. Little did I know. It all went weird from there. The whole pile of books that I brought home that day were some serious selections from Ken Kesey's One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest to Tom Wolf's The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. I wasn't fooling around. About 6 books in all. Ended up reading every single one of them and loved them all.
My mom would do the same thing, almost. She would take me, my brother, and a couple neighborhood kids on a walk across town to the public library. We each picked out 1 or 2 books to bring home. What fun!
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

JennyorAlice wrote: 25 Jul 2019, 10:54 Yes, I've always been a reader. I can't remember a time when I wasn't reading. Even before I was old enough to read on my own, I liked it when someone would read to me. But reading never did start at a certain age for me or with a certain book. It was something that has always been with me my entire life.
I'm exactly the same. I've always been a reader. There was a small-time when I read less which was late secondary school, but I was still reading more books than the rest of my class combined. I have just always loved to read.
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

Yes I have always loved reading since I was a little girl. I really got back into reading when I left university and moved to a small town. I didn’t know anyone, I didn’t have a tv or wifi so all I had in my house was books to keep me entertained. Now I have my own fully stocked library in my living room and I absolutely love that.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Yeah I have always been a bookworm although I have slacked these past few years.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Jordieslyric

Post by Jordieslyric »

I was not an avid reader. When I finally figured out I was, I was 25 years old. I just gave birth to my last child. My eldest child was reading Harry Potter. She was extremely excited. She would read other books like she goosebumps, anime comic books she did all sorts of books that young kids would do at. So when one day she came to me and said, mom you got to read this Harry Potter book. I said sure Why not. Ever since then I could not stop reading. I read all of the harry potter, Vampirate, and I have read almost all of Artemis fowl. Now that I’m older I read books such as Sandra Brown, Nora Roberts and many many others I’m so glad. Reading a book is like taking a vacation without leaving home.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I think so. I started reading at age 5 and my parents would always buy books for me to read and encourage me to do so. When I didn't have a book at hand, I would read the back of cleaning and laundry detergents, shampoos, and so on :D I don't remember a time when I wasn't reading. I realized it recently when someone asked me advice about how to pick up a reading habit, and I didn't know what to say because I've always been reading.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”