Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
R_J_Shannon
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-j-shannon.html

Were you always a reader?

Post by R_J_Shannon »

Did you always like to read? Not everyone was born a reader. I know I wasn't. In Elementary School, I hated reading. I actually didn't really start to enjoy it until maybe my last years of high school. Now, I can't put a book down. I love it. It is my favorite thing to do.
countrychick201389
Currently Reading: true beliver
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-countrychick201389.html

Post by countrychick201389 »

The first time I realized I was a reader would have to had been when I was in the sixth grade and since then I have not been able to put a book down
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I've been a reader for a long time. Before I learned to read, my parents would read to me--one way or the other, apparently I never want to stop!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

MsMartha wrote:I've been a reader for a long time. Before I learned to read, my parents would read to me--one way or the other, apparently I never want to stop!
Ditto! :mrgreen2:

I have started reading by myself when I was in the first grade, and never stop since. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
DATo

Post by DATo »

My reading interest took a steep upward trajectory during my later years of primary school. Later, in high school, I was blessed with an outstanding teacher of literature. I was fortunate to have had her both as a freshman and a senior. Her influence on me during these years is what I credit for my love of reading today. I have been a dedicated reader ever since.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
jott_2009
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jott-2009.html

Post by jott_2009 »

I've always loved to read. I remember when I was in grade school, the picture books weren't enough for me. They were too short. I talked my librarian into letting me get stuff from the 5th 6th grade section, and I was reading high school level books not long after that.

I do tend to go through phases where I'll read nonstop and then not at all. When I'm in a reading phase, I can have books read sometimes in a day if I don't have anything else to do.

The kindle app I have on my phone is my best friend. I have tons of books stored in my account. I have having access to millions of books at the touch of a finger. However, nothing beats holding an actual book, being able to smell the pages of the books, and all that jazz.
KAYKAYKAY60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaykaykay60.html

Post by KAYKAYKAY60 »

Always a reader. My oldest sister taught me, I was reading beyond my level by kindergarden. Books have always been my friends.
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Yes, I've always been a reader. In fact, my first word was "book!"
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
DesiP
Currently Reading: Modern Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desip.html
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by DesiP »

I actually didn't become an avid reader until after college. For me, if I was told to read something, then I didn't want to. Now I read a lot!
Latest Review: "All Roads Lead to Hades" by K.S. Morgan
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Ever since I can remember... I loved to read and now the older I get the more I read. :)
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Always. I was reading at 3 and came into elementary school a couple grades ahead of my little pals.

My Dad or Mom would take me to the library every other Saturday where I'd check out the maximum of 5 books and be chomping at the bit to get back for new ones. When I was about 10, my folks signed a permission for me to have an adult level library card, so I could check out any book I wanted. They also placed no restrictions on my reading choices.

I was ecstatic when I discovered Hemingway and then Faulkner.

Always have been a voracious reader, still am at age 74.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I've always been a big reader. As a child I didn't have a lot of friends so I would just sit and read for hours at a time. Come to think of it, it might have been the other way around! I remember my mom having to force me to put a book down to do stuff like eat and sleep. I calmed down quite a bit once I got to high school and started to enjoy life, but I've never lost my love of a good book.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Zoe303
Favorite Book: And Then There Were None
Currently Reading: Around the World in Eighty Days
Bookshelf Size: 240

Post by Zoe303 »

I liked reading when I was young; I really enjoyed reading children books and I would read them over and over again, but then I stopped reading for many years...probably until I got to high school and that's when my love for reading was reignited; I haven't stopped since then! :D
“Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it.” –P.J. O’Rourke
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

I've always been a reader from a small girl. It's all I do now.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Kia, I had few friends as a kid mostly because I was a dedicated reader and I suppose I outpaced the others. I was always reading science books and so I knew stuff my little pals did not, nor were they interested in.

I loved astronomy as a kid and built a telescope to look at the Moon and planets, was thrilled to see the moons of Jupiter and so on. My pals thought I was goofy because a telescope was "silly".

And thus began the separation.
Last edited by moderntimes on 20 Mar 2016, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”