Were you always a reader?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ChillyBookworm
Currently Reading: Dangerous Liaisons
Bookshelf Size: 3

Re: Were you always a reader?

Post by ChillyBookworm »

I don't remember a time when I didn't love to read. Growing up I always had a book on the go, I particularly enjoyed Roald Dahl's and Enid Blyton's stories. And Beatrix Potter. As I got older and more of my time got taken up by studies (GCSEs, A Levels and then uni) I've had less and less time for reading, but I'm really trying to get back into it now!
Osero
Currently Reading: Lead us to a place
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Osero »

Not everybody else is born a reader but I've been a reader for quite sometime now and this came as an influence from my best friend and I must say it's something I enjoy and will always do.
Andy37
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andy37.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Andy37 »

I wasn't always a reader. I actually used to hate reading until High School when my English teacher made us read To Kill a Mockingbird. I absolutely fell in love with reading and haven't stopped since then.
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

Yep, I was always a reader. I remember being read Roald Dahl’s books in second grade and loving them. When I read Harry Potter for the first time, I was hooked on reading for myself. I can’t imagine hating to read.
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
naturalmama81
Currently Reading: Different
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naturalmama81.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by naturalmama81 »

I've been an avid reader since I was a little girl. As a teen, I could devour entire chapter books in a single day.

As a busy wife and mom, I read a bit slower than I used to but I'm always fitting time for reading in the nooks and crannies of my day.

I will say this: I'm delighted that each of my five children are growing to love books and reading! I have a few natural-born readers, then I have two who have struggled with dyslexia and found reading to be quite challenging. They are slowly learning to enjoy reading for reading's sake, and I'm so happy to see their little noses "stuck in a book" (even if it's a picture book) throughout the week!
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

Yes, actually, I was. One of my first memories include my mother reading fairy tales to me, and me enjoying it immensely. I can even remember the story in question, it was Rapunzel.
Jennz123
Favorite Author: Alastair Reynolds
Favorite Book: Ender’s Game
Currently Reading: The Party Crasher
Bookshelf Size: 2232
fav_author_id: 11570

Post by Jennz123 »

I’ve been a reader for as long as I can remember, I tore through all the reading and comprehension grades in primary school, I couldn’t get enough of them!
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I wasn't a reader until my primary teacher made me realize that I was one. She led me into the world of books and yes to date I still am in the world of books. A world of peace, information and lessons. I thank my then teacher who made me realize that books are the best friend that will never betray or hurt you.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Yes been an deny reader since childhood.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I read a lot as a child and lost it for awhile. I wasn’t an avid reader until later in life. I guess I had to find the time and the right genre to pull me in. I started with old westerns. That led to any historical fiction. Now I read for pleasure and work....
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

The education system in my country turned me into a reader,lol.
VitsyST
Favorite Book: Whispers at Moonrise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitsyst.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by VitsyST »

I hated reading until middle school. It was then that I spent all my free time with a book in my hands and a do not disturb sign on my door.
Mystic98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Mystic98 »

Pretty much ever since I could pick up a book, have I always enjoyed reading. Especially when you need the time to fly by, or to distract yourself from the real world, reading surely can do that for people. But as I got older, I found less time to read, and am trying to change that.
gregs317
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gregs317 »

Yes, my mom introduced me to reading as a young child. I started to enjoy spending time at the library, a good deal. For 5 years, from 8th grade through the 12th grade, I voluntarily spent time as a library aide. I was able to earn partial credit towards graduation, but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

I have always loved reading. It helped me connect with my family, and has been my escape for many years.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”