Goodreads: yay or nay?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Re: Goodreads: yay or nay?

Post by SparklingOne »

I was using Goodreads long before the bookshelves were introduced here, so now I keep lists in both places. I love the look of the bookshelves version, but find it can be work when I have to upload a books cover etc., I do feel very creative while I do that though. Since goodreads is part of Amazon they are able to upload all my purchased kindle books automatically. My goodreads acct is attached to Facebook to so I am able to see what other friends are reading and have gotten some good book recommendations this way.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
ama86
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama86.html

Post by ama86 »

I use goodreads to find good book recommendations. If books are continuously rated high in there, i would like to give that book a try.
HLehsten
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hlehsten.html

Post by HLehsten »

Goodreads is a definite yay for me! I am new here, so I can not compare the two, but I have enjoyed using Goodreads for a while now. I use it mostly for keeping track of books I have read, books I want to read, and how close I am to my reading goal. I also enjoy using it to get book recommendations when I am unsure as to what I should read next. There are some groups that I am a part of, but I do not often participate there. I'd like that to change, as well as making sure to post here on a regular basis.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I don't use the forums on Goodreads either. I typically just use it to keep track of the books I have read, what I want to read, and what my friends are reading. Other than that, though, I am not very active on it.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I use Goodreads. I originally started using it on my smartphone but love that they added it to Kindle. It makes it easier to keep up with the books I have read.
Punt123

Post by Punt123 »

For this is the best book comminty I have found on the entire internet its a nay for me goodreads
pamelamraz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamelamraz.html

Post by pamelamraz »

Definitely a YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY. I just started using goodreads and I love it! It helps me to find good books with good recommendations, and good people. Like what Sasha Alsberg said, "Goodreads is like a Facebook for readers" :D :D :D
jerrywuchte
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by jerrywuchte »

I'm new to this and while my book has been on Goodreads for a few months, I just updated my profile this week. I did see quite few coworkers and Facebook friends on Goodreads so that part was interesting.
jhopp21
Currently Reading: Dandalion Wine
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhopp21.html

Post by jhopp21 »

I like onlinebookclub's format better as well. I use both.
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Absolutely love Goodreads! Everything about it, and the Listopia book lists are AWESOME! Visit several times a day, everyday!

-- 19 Jun 2016, 06:35 --
booklvr62 wrote: Absolutely love Goodreads! Everything about it, and the Listopia book lists are AWESOME! Visit several times a day, everyday!
Except the colors scheme here is Much more soothing to the eyes! :D

-- 19 Jun 2016, 06:36 --
booklvr62 wrote: Absolutely love Goodreads! Everything about it, and the Listopia book lists are AWESOME! Visit several times a day, everyday!
Except the color scheme here is Much more soothing to the eyes! :D

-- 19 Jun 2016, 06:37 --
ArsenicCookies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 292">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arseniccookies.html
Latest Review: "Just a Few Inches" by Tara St. Pierre

Post by ArsenicCookies »

I just started using goodreads today. I want to use it to keep track of the books that I read, not just those that I review. I already rate all of the books that I own in a journal but a friend of mine suggested doing it on goodreads. I've lost the notebook a few times and it will be easier to keep them in one place :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Em with a Pen wrote:I just started using goodreads today. I want to use it to keep track of the books that I read, not just those that I review. I already rate all of the books that I own in a journal but a friend of mine suggested doing it on goodreads. I've lost the notebook a few times and it will be easier to keep them in one place :)
You can also keep track of your books here by using out shelves. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ArsenicCookies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 292">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arseniccookies.html

Post by ArsenicCookies »

gali wrote:
Em with a Pen wrote:I just started using goodreads today. I want to use it to keep track of the books that I read, not just those that I review. I already rate all of the books that I own in a journal but a friend of mine suggested doing it on goodreads. I've lost the notebook a few times and it will be easier to keep them in one place :)
Thanks for the tip! I'm still exploring the website :)
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Em with a Pen wrote:
gali wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I'm still exploring the website :)
You're welcome. You can also use our shelves to set a reading goal. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
usa_g

Post by usa_g »

I am a member, but haven't yet gotten full use out of it. Most of my reviews go on Amazon.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”