What was the book you hated reading for school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Derrol
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derrol.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Re: What was the book you hated reading for school?

Post by Derrol »

The book that I didn't ever liked was 'The Caucacian Chalk Circle'I didn't understood it so much as it used an alien English of ....But I had to reread it many times as it was mandatory to my exams. :no-spoil: :no-spoil: :no-spoil:
ChillyBookworm
Currently Reading: Dangerous Liaisons
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ChillyBookworm »

We read Of Mice and Men and Lord of the Flies and I hated them both. Needless to say English literature quickly became my least favourite subject, which saddened me as I've always loved reading!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Bless the Beasts and Children. My freshman English teacher was just too into the allegorical nature of it. A lot of books I didn't like when I had to read them for class I have later gone back and read, and actually liked. But I have never been able to convince myself to even look for this book again.
__thasneem__
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by __thasneem__ »

Gulliver's Travel!!
I hated coz there was 2 parts of the book and it was mandatory for us to read it before the exam.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

The obnoxious and famous Don Quixote. I never read it in the end... I was honest with my teacher and I said I tried hard, but just couldn't. In the end, she said she understood, and gave another piece, which I finished in two days and had my report about it handed in the day after.
eagermagic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eagermagic.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by eagermagic »

Almost without exception, I came to admire and even love the books that were assigned. There is one exception that came later in life which I will get to in a moment. The problem, at least for me, with the classic books assigned by well meaning teachers: I was not ready for them. I doubt most of my classmates were ready. I always cite The Scarlet Letter as the prime example of this. In ninth grade, at least back when I attended it and the mighty mastodon roamed the earth, was not a hotbed for deep thinking concerning sin, redemption and adultery. We had no way to enter the book. I was slightly more prepared in college but it was not until a third assignment in graduate school that I came to understand the book in any meaningful way.

And speaking of grad school: I am sorry Professor M (wherever you are) but I never finished James' Portrait of a Lady. I have tried and tried and tried again, but I cannot help it. I want to shout at Mr James: just get on with it! Try to write a sentence that does not require a map and a compass. So, it is not the first book I hated in school, but it currently reigns as undisputed champion.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

There's an O'Neill play that I hated, Long Day's Journey into Night. I just all seemed so pointless and meandering. I couldn't stand it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
-Tinuthien-
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinuthien.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by -Tinuthien- »

The Evenings by Gerard Reve. It's a Dutch classic (my native language is Dutch), recently translated into English, and I read it for school. They often say in the Netherlands that this one kills your love for reading Dutch literature and I agree it did for me.
-Tinuthien-
Currently Reading: Mrs Dalloway
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinuthien.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by -Tinuthien- »

The Catcher in the Rye. My goodness, what a horror was that to be subjected to.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I can't say that there is a book I hated while at school because after my teacher succeeded in making me a lover of books, I became so addicted to books and I could read anything readable to date though I have become picky though not extremely picky.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I don't remember the name of it. It was a book about a teenage girl who fell for a typical bad boy type and ran away from home. They had to live at the YMCA. She woke up one morning and he was gone.
It was REALLY lame, in my opinion. Aside from those details, the only other thing I remember is her name was Donnie and his name was Mitch. Because my 9th grade English teacher accidentally called them "Donnie and Marie" one day. LOL :D
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Maralynx wrote: 31 May 2019, 08:59 The obnoxious and famous Don Quixote. I never read it in the end... I was honest with my teacher and I said I tried hard, but just couldn't. In the end, she said she understood, and gave another piece, which I finished in two days and had my report about it handed in the day after.
I hated this book too. Cervantes wrote this book just as a parody of the traveling knights that were popular in his century. So we had to read a very old parody. :roll2:
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

A Separate Peace. I read it my freshman year of high school and it was garbage.
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

-Tinuthien- wrote: 06 Jun 2019, 06:46 The Catcher in the Rye. My goodness, what a horror was that to be subjected to.
I had to read that my sophomore year of high school and I think my biggest grievance with it was just that Holden was a jerk and I wanted to jump into the book just to fight him.
amal_786
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amal-786.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amal_786 »

I never liked Animal Farm by George Orwell or How to Read Literature Like A Professor by Thomas Foster because I though they were both incredibly dull. However, the book I despised and hated with every fiber of my being was Moby Duck. Not Moby Dick. It was called Moby Duck and was about the ship of rubber ducks that got lost at sea during the 1900's. Our science teachers in 7th grade made us read it because I suppose at first glance it seemed interesting enough, but it was truly a horrid book. That book was the only one I have never been able to finish. Nobody could bring themselves to read it, and eventually the teachers let us get away with it after they too realized what a bad book it was.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”