What was the book you hated reading for school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Occupied Mind25
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What was the book you hated reading for school?

Post by Occupied Mind25 »

I’ve enjoyed every book that I can remember reading in middle school and high school. I’ve even bought the ones that stood out to me the most.

I will say that I’ve had difficulty reading The Hobbit in the 5th grade though.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

I absolutely hated Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. It was on the summer reading list for my advanced English class. To be fair, I couldn't find a copy of it so I listened to the audio book. Maybe it was the narrator's voice that was so boring. :lol: Ever since then, I've never had an interest in touching another Hemingway work, although reading some of the quotes attributed to him, he seemed like a very witty, intelligent man.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

I actually made it through without reading a lot of the books from the "standard highschool booklist" so I have been working my way back through some. The only one I really remember reading in school was Of Mice and Men - but I was so caught up in feeling bad for the mouse that I missed the point altogether.

Having read some more books from the "standard highschool booklist" I can also say Wuthering Heights. I can see why others may have liked it, but it just wasn't for me.
Amber Nichole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amber-nichole.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B01J6RPGKG

Post by Amber Nichole »

PepperedPenelope wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 14:11 I actually made it through without reading a lot of the books from the "standard highschool booklist" so I have been working my way back through some. The only one I really remember reading in school was Of Mice and Men - but I was so caught up in feeling bad for the mouse that I missed the point altogether.

Having read some more books from the "standard highschool booklist" I can also say Wuthering Heights. I can see why others may have liked it, but it just wasn't for me.
I absolutely love Of Mice and Men. Your response is totally hilarious. :lol2: There's a pretty good movie adaptation of it, too, starring Gary Sinise and John Malkovich. Malkovich does, in my opinion, a WONDERFUL job of playing Lenny.
PepperedPenelope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pepperedpenelope.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by PepperedPenelope »

Amber Nichole wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 20:39
PepperedPenelope wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 14:11 I actually made it through without reading a lot of the books from the "standard highschool booklist" so I have been working my way back through some. The only one I really remember reading in school was Of Mice and Men - but I was so caught up in feeling bad for the mouse that I missed the point altogether.

I absolutely love Of Mice and Men. Your response is totally hilarious. :lol2: There's a pretty good movie adaptation of it, too, starring Gary Sinise and John Malkovich. Malkovich does, in my opinion, a WONDERFUL job of playing Lenny.
I'll have to find it! Maybe it will make me want to give it another go! Young me didn't really appreciate the literary devices that are so frequently used... the same thing happened with The Lord of the Flies and the pig hunts in it :oops:
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

Lord of the Flies and a Portrait if the Artist as a Young Man. I forced myself through Lord of the Flies, but Portrait of the Artist was the only book I ever cheated by getting the cliff’s notes instead of actually reading.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Julius Cesar. But only because when you read for school, you are reading to prepare for exams and have to reread to get all the minute details and by the end of it I hated Shakespeare for a long time.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Honestly, most of what we read in high school I couldn't stand. Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice and Raisin in the Sun stand out in my mind right now. I don't like classic literature all that much.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
helenmgilles13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helenmgilles13.html
Latest Review: Peppermint Mocha Murder by Pam Moll

Post by helenmgilles13 »

I am so glad to find other people that disliked reading The Great Gatsby. I disliked Nick Carraway's character a lot and, maybe because of this fact, I found the narration style dull and pretentious. It is the only book I've ever read that made me think 'You know what? I'm just going to watch the movie' (don't worry, it was the Robert Redford one :lol2: ).
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I couldn't get into Animal Farm. I didn't like The Great Gatsby. I loved Catcher in the Rye and Johnny Tremain. Just goes to show everyone's taste is different.
Kinap
Currently Reading: Instant Pot Cookbook #2019
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinap.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kinap »

We read "The scarlet letter" in 11th grade. I was really excited to read it, until I read it. I wanted so bad to like it! And although I appreciate and respect it, I just did not like it as much as the other books we read.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I read The Grapes of Wrath in high school and felt like I was being punished for something. Just not my kind of book. The same year I had to read Lord of the Flies. That's when I knew for sure that the teacher and I didn't like the same types of books. :techie-studyingbrown:
Ragnar Lothbrok
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ragnar-lothbrok.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by Ragnar Lothbrok »

Gulliver's travels by Jonathan Swift!
I hated reading the books because I wasn't interested at all! Though I liked the movie hahaha.
bookworm2567
Currently Reading: Formatting Your Fantastic Book
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by bookworm2567 »

I know this book has been said a ton of times but The Great Gatsby really did bore me. To be fair, during high school I never had any interest in books but still- I think we can all agree that The Great Gatsby is a total bore when you're reading it as a teen.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

I hated "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez, it was awfully boring for me! and the worst thing is that it's supposed to be a MUST for us as colombians. I haven't dare to re-read it yet. But I know that someday I will give it a chance.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”