What was the book you hated reading for school?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Re: What was the book you hated reading for school?

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I hated reading the Hobbit. It is not a book I would ever read on my own, and I didn't like it at all. The fact that I was forced to read it made it even worse.
Megwe85
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megwe85.html
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar

Post by Megwe85 »

I didn't like On the Road or Catch-22. In fact, I didn't even finish the second one. On the Road bored me to tears. I'm still not sure what I was supposed to get out of reading about the dull exploits of a marijuana-smoking man.
Latest Review: "Cryptic" by Conrad Luznar
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I strongly disliked having to read Lord of the Flies in school. I don't even remember what grade I was in when we were forced to read it but I can say I don't remember much of it.
zero_macabre
Currently Reading: The Snowman
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zero-macabre.html
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller

Post by zero_macabre »

We had to read 'Friedrich'. Honestly, I didn't like reading the book not because I felt reading it was stupid or pointless, but just because I had read it so many times and it got really boring. However, the book is good.. I guess.
Latest Review: "No Simple Miracle" by Meggan Haller
mommyreadsbooks
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mommyreadsbooks.html
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by mommyreadsbooks »

We read a lot of very good interesting books in school, but I have to say my very least favorite would be Beowolf. That was not appealing to me at all! I wouldn't wait until it was over, but then we had to watch the movie. :doh:
Latest Review: "Once A God" by Victor A. Wilkie
KaraSkinner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karaskinner.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by KaraSkinner »

I hated the Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy with a passion! My teacher kept trying to get the entire class to see the mayor as a sympathetic character, but I wasn't having any of it. He sold his wife and child in a drunken rage in the first scene! It was impossible to like him. Grendel was also a problem for me because it was so hard to get through. Not only was it dark, but just difficult to understand. I had a much harder time with Grendel than I did even with 1984.
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

In a civics class, we had to read The Book Theif and I was like 13 at the time and I had no idea what the author was saying.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

In a civics class, we had to read The Book Theif and I was like 13 at the time and I had no idea what the author was saying.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
bizoleth
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bizoleth.html

Post by bizoleth »

I didn't read it--at the time--my fourth grade teacher read Scott O'Dell's "Island of the Blue Dolphins" to us in class and I totally tuned him out...what a silly child I was! I bought the book and read it with my mom when I was pregnant with my first and LOVED it!! I'm not sure where my brain was in 4th grade but SO glad I took the plunge...better late than never!
kjsoldani
Currently Reading: Kitchen Confidential
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kjsoldani.html

Post by kjsoldani »

The one book I remember that was absolutely mind-numbing to read with The Pearl by John Steinbeck. It had a good moral but it was so boring, it was painful. Besides that I remember most high school books being a pretty positive experience aside from the essays and inferences of quotes.
Angel610
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel610.html
Reading Device: B00JKCH4X0

Post by Angel610 »

The first one that came to mind was Catcher in the Rye... I really don't remember now why I couldn't get into it, but like another writer posted I should give it another try. I had forgotten so many of the other books mentioned here like Wuthering Heights, although I've read most of them I almost had a hard time choosing just one.... My favorite book we had to read was Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier and it remains one of my all time favorites still.
Glittery1
Currently Reading: Buried in a Bog
Bookshelf Size: 743

Post by Glittery1 »

I absolutely HATED The Lord of the Flies. HATED.
AMagnificentAmberson
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by AMagnificentAmberson »

The only thing I remember is The Three Musketeers. I was super excited about it until I started reading it. :( I got so bored I tried to skip through it by only reading the dialogue and then I failed my comprehension study at the end.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Post by ebeth »

I remember one of the books I had to read was of Mice and Men. I really had a hard time reading it. In fact, I found I had a hard time reading books that were a requirement then ones I did read. Now I am finding myself interested in books that probably could have been a requirement in school, but is more fun to read because don't feel pressured to read it.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

I really hated "Moby Dick," hands down. It is well-written book and a classic, but it is negative. I am not into hunting whales in the least, and I was sad at the end of the book when Moby Dick dies. Ahab dies too, but he deserves it, in my opinion.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”