Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
craftshley
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-craftshley.html
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston

Re: Have You Converted to Audio Books Yet?

Post by craftshley »

I think there is no converting between books and Audiobooks. They are two different things and I will never just do one or the other, unless I happen to lose my sight and there's no other option. That being said, I do love Audiobooks, especially when I want to knit or play puzzle games.
Latest Review: "Shoulda Woulda Coulda" by Chris Johnston
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I enjoy reading too much to want to just listen. But if my eyesight continues to deteriorate with age - as it seems to be doing - I might just have to resort to Audiobooks.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I will never totally go to strictly audio books, but I do enjoy them when they are done well.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
sweter1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sweter1 »

I have not tried audio books, but I don't think they would be for me. I don't think that I would be able to focus on the story listening to someone else read it to me. I need to see the words!
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

craftshley wrote:I think there is no converting between books and Audiobooks. They are two different things and I will never just do one or the other, unless I happen to lose my sight and there's no other option.
I agree with you on this way. I can't even imagine intentionally giving up on physical books that I look at myself to get the story! :o
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

Reading a physical book is always my first choice. But I love to listen to audiobooks too. It's a nice way of changing things up.
MatthewAlexander
Currently Reading: It's Kind of a Funny Story
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matthewalexander.html
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret

Post by MatthewAlexander »

I like audiobooks a lot, but they hVen't replaced ebooks or just good old hard copies for me. I usually only listen to audiobooks when I'm trying to get a reading assignment for class done, or if I'm trying to sleep, or if I'm cleaning...that sort of thing.
Latest Review: "Jump" by Michel Sauret
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

Converted? No, sorry, not even close. I actually find it quite difficult to focus on audiobooks. I have to be doing something absolutely mindless to grasp onto the story and stay in it. I'm sure I'm missing something here but I guess I get much more out of books by reading them then by listening.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
readinreed
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinreed.html
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle

Post by readinreed »

I'm a big fan of audiobooks when I'm working out or on a road trip. In fact my husband, who is not a big reader, now insists on having several audiobooks on hand whenever we have any long distance driving to do. In fact we've been known to sit in the car at our destination just so we can finish that last chapter.
Latest Review: "WICK" by Matt Doyle
Freida Livery
Bookshelf Size: 2897
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Freida Livery »

Over the past months, I've listened to more books than I've read. I can't remember the last time I turned on the TV..instead I plug my iPod into a set of speakers and turn on an audio book. While listening, I can make a quilt or color a picture, do my chores, walk the dog all sorts of things get done rather just sitting on the couch to read. They can be expensive, but I have access to a great library where I can get them for free.

-- 17 Apr 2016, 18:23 --
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like."
— Lemony Snicket
1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

I hope to one day actually like listening to audio books, LOL! In this moment, I can only manage to listen to audio books of self-help books.
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I have listened to a couple of audio books but prefer reading. When I last listened to audio books many of them were only available in abridged versions. I'm sure that has improved with technology. I definitely want to hear the entire book. I might try one again on a long car trip. That way my husband and I wouldn't have to fight over the radio.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

I have not converted to audio books, and I probably never will. I just can't get into audio books. It's not the same as just picking up a book and reading it. I prefer my paper books.
adria_charles
Currently Reading: The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adria-charles.html
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman

Post by adria_charles »

I love audiobooks. I do more actual reading of physical books than I do listening to audiobooks, but I must say the convenience of having an audiobook is surprisingly quite nice. I never read and listen to the same book, my audiobook is always different. When I do listen to it though it is generally when I am unable to read. For example when I am running, folding laundry, driving, etc. It can be difficult at times to stay connected because I get caught up in what I am doing while listening, but I love having the ability to continue reading, in a sense, when life is happening.

If I must choose though I will ALWAYS choose reading an actual physical book over listening to it. There is nothing like holding a book in my hands while reading.
Latest Review: "Turka Bella" by Jonathan Feldman
sarahgracetaylor
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahgracetaylor.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarahgracetaylor »

I'd say I've always been an audiobook fan. A lot of my family growing up has been spread out over 1000+ miles, and I guess when I was a child my parents thought it was more economical to drive than to fly, so many long hours in the car were made better with tapes from the library. Apparently my love for travel never stopped, as I still have to commute and drive a good deal to this day so they remain in my good favor. I absolutely love reading, but if we're being honest I don't think I'd ever get through my very, very long list without the help of the audiobooks in the car as well!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”