Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Re: Do you read books word-by-word or do you scan the book?

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

I read books word by word.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I am a fast reader, but I still read the book word-by-word. I don't like missing anything and scanning a book just seems like you would miss a lot.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
RachelErmutlu
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Eldest
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelermutlu.html
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by RachelErmutlu »

I think I read word by word. There will be sometimes when I get distracted and seem to be just skimming, but I will normally go back to reread. Although, when I go back I normally remember what I had skimmed.
agreenwood
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agreenwood.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by agreenwood »

I also read word-by-word and find myself annoyed if I cannot fully concentrate on my book and feel as if I've not understood a sentence or paragraph. I must go back and re-read to make certain I've gotten all the words and understand the book. Kind of a pet-peeve of mine.
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Having a career in science and engineering taught me to read precisely and carefully. And although I read novels and such for the pleasure of it, I still read with a precision. I find that I can do this and still enjoy the rhythm and language, maybe even better if I am focused.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
tortoise keeper
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tortoise-keeper.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Reading Device: B0192AFG7A

Post by tortoise keeper »

I pretty much read a book word for word especially if I really like it. If I don't care for a book, but don't want to not finish it, I will sometimes skim it through to the end. At other times I will skim the last chapter just to see how it ends.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
MaggieMariee

Post by MaggieMariee »

I always read word for word. I don't like to miss any important details or any parts of the story just by skimming through the book.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

For me it depends on what language I'm reading in, if I'm reading in English (which is my mother-tongue) then subconsciously I don't really read each and every word. It's more like since I read a lot of books my mind kind of knows how the sentence will end so usually I just scan the rest of the sentence.
But if I'm reading in French then I read every single word since I'm not as familiar with the language. Also if I'm trying to read fast then I'll end up just scanning the words. :P
ANCD
Currently Reading: Left Behind
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ancd.html

Post by ANCD »

For the most part, I do read word for word. But like others said, I may scan through unnecessary or repetitive scenes. This, of course, is not the case when reading a book with the intention of writing a review afterwards.
MRogue
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrogue.html
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King

Post by MRogue »

I read a book word by word. I am a fast reader and this does not affect my speed.
I find that when I scan the book, though I may get the general idea and plot of the book, I may not be privy to the details and the in-depth feeling of the book.
Latest Review: "Billionaire Romance: A Hard Bargain (Book 1 of series)" by Jennifer King
Zroogz

Post by Zroogz »

I read books word for word, and then paragraph by paragraph for the sake of memorization. Skimming the pages can lead to a lazy pattern of comprehension and retention.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Same here, Rogue, I'm a very fast reader concomitant with high comprehension. So I zoom thru novels and even though the reading is fast, I remember what I've read.

Therefore I don't need to "scan" a book, because I read the thing totally all the time anyway.
jott_2009
Currently Reading: Eating Bull
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jott-2009.html

Post by jott_2009 »

I read word for word. Unless I've already read the book once or twice, then I may jump to my favorite places in the book.
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

What I find is that for books I've read before, such as great novels (Ulysses, other classics) I savor the words on re-reading. I read them with joy and pleasure, maybe repeating a paragraph or phrase which grabs me.

But for "standard" books -- for example the mystery novels I review for a website -- I read each word. I don't think it would be fair to write a review of a book that I just skimmed.
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

Word for word. Sometimes I read a sentence or paragraph more than once just to make sure I'm comprehending it correctly. A slow reader but thats better than not reading at alll.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”