Do you prefer books with long or short chapters ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
RachelAnneMaria
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachelannemaria.html

Re: Do you prefer books with long or short chapters ?

Post by RachelAnneMaria »

I prefer books with short chapters! I would even go so far as to say I would choose a long book with short chapters over a short book with long chapters any day. The short chapters break everything up nicely and help me to achieve small goals, especially if some parts of the narrative are a little tougher to get through. But even in amazing books with no slow points it's nice to have those small achievements to reach.
jenker
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenker.html

Post by jenker »

I prefer shorter chapters because each night I say I'll go to sleep "as soon as I'm done with this chapter." Usually several chapters later I finally make myself put down the book!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

RachelAnneMaria wrote:I prefer books with short chapters! I would even go so far as to say I would choose a long book with short chapters over a short book with long chapters any day. The short chapters break everything up nicely and help me to achieve small goals, especially if some parts of the narrative are a little tougher to get through. But even in amazing books with no slow points it's nice to have those small achievements to reach.

I agree with this

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Mike_Lang
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 50592">The Life and Times of The Thunderbolt Kid</a>
Currently Reading: Mississippi Noir
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mike-lang.html
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Mike_Lang »

All other things being equal I tend to prefer shorter chapters. It's so much easier to stay connected with a book if you can read a short chapter here and there in between doing other day to day things that have to be done.
Latest Review: "Justice Prevails" by Colin Lodder
Leese
Currently Reading: The Lafayette Campaign
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leese.html
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Leese »

I prefer short chapters. I tend to fit in reading among other things I'm doing during the day, or just before going to sleep, so having the book broken down into short, manageable chapters is better for me. That said, though, if a book is good enough then long chapters don't bother me at all.
Latest Review: "Probable Cause for Vengeance" by David Wolf
Asian_Bookaholic
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asian-bookaholic.html

Post by Asian_Bookaholic »

If I am completely absorbed in a book, which I usually am, I don't really realize how long the chapters are. But if I am reading something for class and counting pages and muttering about how it would be so much easier to read a novel double the length, then I usually prefer for the chapters to be shorter because it helps me remember what I have read better. Hope this helped. :wink2:
Great_Novel_Review
Currently Reading: Stranger In A Strange Land
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-great-novel-review.html

Post by Great_Novel_Review »

The question depends on what the subject of the chapter is about. Some chapters in a book I sometimes wish would never end. Other chapters will tend to drag and I will look for a fresh start in the next chapter.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I like books with shorter chapters. The books just feel better organized and I always bookmark my books at a chapter so if I have to wait too long to stop reading then I end up not enjoying the book and instead i just count the pages until the next chapter so I can finally stop and close the book.
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I don't really have a preference, as long as the book is good I don't care.
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I think it depends what time I have and how often I get the time to read. If I'm busy shorter chapters are easier because I can pause reading at a natural pause in the book rather than half way through
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Swimsim83

Post by Swimsim83 »

I prefer short and actually enjoy POV chapters, when each chapter is written in the view of a certain character.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I prefer short chapters so when I need to pause reading I can do that when I'm done with a chapter rather than pause in the middle of a long chapter.
SeverumSolus75
Currently Reading: Peter Pan
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-severumsolus75.html

Post by SeverumSolus75 »

Definitely short chapters. It makes you feel like you are making progress.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

I prefer a book with short chapters because I often don't have a lot of time to read in one sitting. I hate having to put a book down in the middle of a chapter. Dinner can typically wait 5 pages, not 25.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
jhopp21
Currently Reading: Dandalion Wine
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhopp21.html

Post by jhopp21 »

short chapters. It's easier to find a break.....my house is hectic, kids are always needing something.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”