What would you consider a big book ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Re: What would you consider a big book ?

Post by Topcho »

anonanemone wrote:
PashaRu wrote:One which, when dropped from less than eight inches above the floor, can kill a medium-sized cockroach.
So we're talking at least an unabridged and illustrated War and Peace here? :lol:
Lol, but those things can be pretty hard to kill!

Anyway, I consider a big book one with more than 500-600 pages. But again it depends on many other things. Font and size for one thing - I have one volume of 400 pages that actually would be somewhere near 700 if it was printed with normal size letter. Thus us one of the reasons I haven't read it yet - I have the feeling my eyes are about to bleed after a page ir two.
Theme and genre also matter. I have in my TBR romance and YA novels that are well beyond 700 pages but are so light and easy to read, I don't actually count them as big books.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
irongator15
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irongator15.html

Post by irongator15 »

At least 500 hundred pages
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I have read several BIG BOOKS, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, Far Pavilions by MM Kaye, Chesapeake by James Michener, Shogun by James Clavell, Sarum by Edward Rutherford, And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmyer among others. I can no longer remember how many pages they have just that they were really thick with very small fonts. I'm sure, though, that they have more than 500 pages each.
MARich
Favorite Author: John Kennedy Toole
Currently Reading: Domain
fav_author_id: 3207

Post by MARich »

Anything over 500 pages personally
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

550+ pages :idea:
greeneyedlady
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greeneyedlady.html

Post by greeneyedlady »

700 plus pages.

greeneyedlady
jk385506
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jk385506.html

Post by jk385506 »

I agree with a lot of you- I think anything over 500 pages is a big book!
k_green
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by k_green »

Growing up, I always saw Les Miserables in the library of our grade school and thought it was the largest book I had seen. I now realize that, as large as that book is, there are plenty of larger books out there. I would say that anything over 500 is considered a very long book!
veronicam101

Post by veronicam101 »

I will agree with most of you guys. A will consider a book containing over 500 pages to be big, however there are those books and novels that simply captures the reader, and you never want it to end, and when it does it all seems so brief. For instances Margaret Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind, a 1032 page novel with its capturing plot and speculative ending has left millions of readers, including myself desiring more.
donaldzlotnik
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38853">MYK: Prince of the Vends</a>
Bookshelf Size: 56
Publishing Contest Votes: 2

Post by donaldzlotnik »

I absolutely LOVE big books that are well-researched and the characters are developed. Allan W. Eckert's, "A Sorrow in our Heart" about the Indian Tecumseh (1068 pages with notes) and the book "That Dark and Bloody River" are superb. Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy" and of course, "War and Peace" the classic BIG book. They inspired me to write my masterpiece saga that went over 1,000 pages in manuscript. My opinion is those who can write a "big book" are the master craftsmen of literature.

I've seen a couple of books posted here, one in particular that was 52 pages long! That is a CHAPTER in a big book!

I was in my early teens before television was popular and reading; comics, magazines and books was my escape route from poverty. I cannot imagine anyone who loves to read NOT wanting to immerse themselves in a BIG book from a genre they love.
madelinexf
Currently Reading: Sweet Possession
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by madelinexf »

A book with however the largest number there is as a page.
okocha ifeanyi

Post by okocha ifeanyi »

The number of pages a book has depends on the content and the font size in which it is printed. 500 pages for me is not big if the font size is above 12.
Deystorm
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy Lee Child
Currently Reading: Stalker
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reading Device: B00HNOWHRU

Post by Deystorm »

I consider it big if a book has 500+ pages.
That's too much for me, although I want to try it once... :P
GreyCat

Post by GreyCat »

Hmm a "big" book for me has to be 400+ up as anything 600+ just turns me off reading.
TracyThomas81
Favorite Author: To Many To Name
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracythomas81.html

Post by TracyThomas81 »

I'd consider a big book to be 650 pages and up.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”