Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Re: Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Post by Emilyflint »

I love to imagine what is happening in the book in my head. I even think about it during the day if it is a really good book. Not always do I imagine, but I love it.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

I almost always develop pictures in my head. I don't know exactly how I concoct certain images in my imagination for different books, but I usually come up with images of people and places. Because of this, movies made from books can sometimes disappoint me. If I have already formed images, seeing someone else's vision of the book seems strange.
What's weird is that I can still envision the places in many of the books I read in my childhood, just the way I saw them in my head back then. Even when I have trouble thinking of what book it was, the first thing I remember is how I pictured certain places in the book, like someone's house. I can usually remember how the book made me feel, too.
Sometimes, there are even certain songs from my childhood that make me think of a book I read. It may not even have anything about it that was related to the book, but it was playing in the background while I was reading important scenes in the book, and now I associate the song with the book.
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Yes, I see pictures in my mind when I read all of the time. I love it!

Paula :D
"I think therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
MsDree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 268
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msdree.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by MsDree »

I only visualize the story if its a fantasy genre. Even if its my first time reading it. Most of pictures in my head, i think, was captured whenever I watched fantasy movies, reading picture books, etc. There's this fantasy book series on wp I read where its main character was from Dark Fae (Demons, Ghouls, Nosferatu) realm and he's the Dark King. His most noticeable appearance in the book was the moving tattoos. So I just pictured the tattoo moving though I don't know how it works. I think I saw this movie where the protagonist or might be antagonist had something moving on his body. So I just pictured it. Don't know if it makes sense
"A book, too, can be a star, a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe." — Madeline L'Engle
Sophie11
Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophie11.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Sophie11 »

Sometimes it's hard to diffentiate if I've seen it as a movie or read it as a book. So I'd have to go with yes...see it as a picture.
magicquill
Currently Reading: Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicquill.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by magicquill »

Yes, most of the time. I even imagine the characters in my mind and tend to be part of the book as well. And I also tend to picture the scenes in the book.
Because if you've found meaning in your life, you don't want to go back. You want to go forward.

- Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

It depends. I mostly see pictures especially if and when the book is very enjoyable.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

I normally feel like I'm right there with the characters. I see the whole book as I read it.
ixora
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ixora.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ixora »

Yes I do! Especially if I'm really into a story it can feel almost as though I'm actually there.
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
missalice
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by missalice »

Yeah, definitely! It's kind of like a movie is playing inside of my head. The writing definitely has an impact on how smoothly the movie plays though, if that makes any sense.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

missalice wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 15:01 Yeah, definitely! It's kind of like a movie is playing inside of my head. The writing definitely has an impact on how smoothly the movie plays though, if that makes any sense.
I totally understand, that's how I feel. Then when I get a boring book the movie keeps pausing as I fall asleep lol.
Frenjie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frenjie.html
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael

Post by Frenjie »

Yes, I usually try to picture out the scenes in my head as I read the text. It helps me have a better understanding and connection with the story. Likewise, making my imagination works enhances my creativitiy. It's one of the advantages of reading a book over watching a movie.
" Desire is the starting point of all achievement, not a hope, not a wish but a keen pulsating desire which transcends everything." - Napoleon Hill
Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I usually always have pictures in my head as I read.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Scolletapie
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scolletapie.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Scolletapie »

This depends with the author's style of writing. Out of experience,when I read a book that is helping me imagine,create pictures and so forth, I gets to relate it to real life,and even makes reading more enjoyable..
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

I definitely create the place and characters in my mind and see pictures but not "moving" pictures like in a film.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”