Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Re: Do you see pictures in your head while reading ?

Post by JR Mercier »

It all depends on the author. If it's a fast-paced, quick read then only some scenes stand out but some authors that have detailed writing and great descriptions - with them it can feel like I'm watching a movie.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Hallsword
Favorite Book: The 11.05 Murders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hallsword.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Hallsword »

I always picture scenes in my head when I'm reading and a vague picture of what the characters may look like. I guess I don't know how you wouldn't and I love that I've let the author create that little world inside my head. What I find irritating is when a movie comes out and I choose to read the book after seeing the movie, all I can envision in my head is what I saw in the movie. Meaning, whomever the actor or actress was becomes all I can imagine in my head reading the book. For me, that takes a bit away from reading a book after seeing a movie.
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I usually see pictures as I read. It helps familiarize me intimately to the plot and its characters because they turn from words on a page to actual events and people. It does help when the author is very descriptive.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Kelsey anne
Currently Reading: Murder on the Orient Express
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Kelsey anne »

This is one of the main reasons I love reading. The author will describe scenes and characters but you get to put together what you would imagine it would be. It's almost like creating a movie in your head that only you can see and it's unique because 100 different people could read the same thing and everyone would envision it in their own way. This is why I believe a book is always better than watching the movie.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

I see pictures all the time when I'm reading and the book plays out like a movie in my head. If I read a book and I have trouble imagining the images of the scenes in my head then I won't finish reading it. When I was a child I couldn't read books with colored illustrations because sometimes I would have an image in my head of the scene but if the illustrations clashed with what I had imagined I had to take a few minutes and reimagine everything I've read up to that point and I would end up frustrated and with a headache. This was the reason I never finished reading Lewis Carol's Alice in Wonderland, the copy of the book I had was too colorful. I read books with black and white images just fine though (I was a fan of Nancy Drew books for this) and even better with no pictures at all.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

I do, I picture how the main characters will look. And if the scenes are really detailed, then I can see it. The books I can do that for are the absolute best.
RichardHaight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Unbound Soul

Post by RichardHaight »

Yes, but what I see is in low resolution. I think the highest resolution pictures I saw in my head were stimulated by Stephen King's The Stand. That book is told in such vivid detail that it was easy for me to visualize a lot of the content.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

Yes, it's like a movie!
Erin_Mika
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Erin_Mika »

When I read, I definitely have images of what everyone might look like or sound like. When I watch a show and read the series that goes with the show, I read the book in each characters voice. It’s awesome :)
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Not really. I wish I did.
domibarq
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by domibarq »

If I am really enjoying a book, I most definitely visualize it in my head.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

KNewton wrote: 09 Sep 2015, 00:32 For me it depends on the authors writing style. If I'm really into the book then it is a bit like a movie for me and I almost forget I'm reading.
Same here, it depends on the author. If I get some really good description and natural dialogue in my mind, then it turns into actual moving scenes rather than stills. I love reading books like this most because it's much more like watching a movie than reading.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Erin_Mika wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 12:38 When I read, I definitely have images of what everyone might look like or sound like. When I watch a show and read the series that goes with the show, I read the book in each characters voice. It’s awesome :)
Haha your post is so relatable! I also read in each character's voice, even when I don't really know what their voice sounds like (if there's no movie accompanying it). When I see descriptions about the character like, "husky voice," I'm over here trying to change the voice in my head to some grunge rocker voice or another. It's super entertaining.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I definitely see pictures if I am reading anything historical. I have a love of history and was a former teacher. I also am a visual learner which I believe is why my mind tends to go to pictures when I read. Of course, if the author does an exceptional job with description of scenes then I can almost feel like I am a standing on the sidelines looking in.
Maybe I'm just crazy! :lol2:
Jmteachmom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmteachmom.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Jmteachmom »

I definitely see pictures if I am reading anything historical. I have a love of history and was a former teacher. I also am a visual learner which I believe is why my mind tends to go to pictures when I read. Of course, if the author does an exceptional job with description of scenes then I can almost feel like I am a standing on the sidelines looking in.
Maybe I'm just crazy! :lol2:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”