Ever get sleepy while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Re: Ever get sleepy while reading?

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

This doesn't happen to me very often, but it does happen. It actually happened last weekend. I was only 3 pages into reading for the day and I felt myself drop my book. I scared myself awake and realized that I had fallen asleep for 2 hours! I think it is that I just get so relaxed.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
cogarae
Currently Reading: Mary
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogarae.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by cogarae »

All the time! This happens after a long day or from the brightness of the kindle when reading in a dark room.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

I definitely get sleeping when I read books that I don't enjoy but have to read them for school. For example, textbooks, or non-fiction stories or novels for English that I just don't find interesting. However, I have also felt sleepy while reading books that I enjoy too. Sometimes I get so tired just sitting in bed reading a book and I think the comfort has a lot to do with that. It's very comfortable and relaxing and I think it's easy to become drowsy.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
Kate7
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kate7 »

It helps if you have a glass of water, walk to the bathroom, with your book of coarse, and don't sit too long. I fall asleep quite often at night or if I've had a rough night. Then I have to reread... :?
TheRavenwoodReview
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theravenwoodreview.html

Post by TheRavenwoodReview »

If I'm already tired, I will get sleepy while reading. More often than not, I will fight the heaviness of my eyelids and keep reading through multiple blinks until I can't take it anymore. I have found that with reading glasses, it helps. Maybe I need to do like the cartoons and prop my lids open with toothpicks, lol.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Post by MsMartha »

I don't mind if I get sleepy when I'm reading at night--sometimes I actually do sleep better when this happens. What I don't like is having to read a chapter again the next day, when I realize that I don't remember anything about it...
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Austin Odigie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-austin-odigie.html

Post by Austin Odigie »

Yes, I do get sleepy while reading. It's common with books I consider not interesting.
anamcara
Bookshelf Size: 511
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anamcara.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by anamcara »

Glad I'm in good company as I do too! Even the best and most adventuresome books can't keep sleep from overtaking me sometimes. But it's a great way to fall asleep! Sometimes when I fall asleep while reading, I'll dream about the story.
"Of the knowledge of man, nothing is more unintelligible than the
human heart."

-Homer
fabulasaule
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulasaule.html

Post by fabulasaule »

I get sleepy quoite often while reading but it is maybe because I often choose quite boring books and do not let myself to throw them away. :|
SparklingOne
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sparklingone.html
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by SparklingOne »

I don't usually get sleepy when reading during the day, but I do when reading at night. Reading is my relaxation tool before bed at night. So I usually read each night until tiredness creeps up on me after my busy day.
Our lives are defined by opportunities, even the ones we miss.
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Latest Review: "I AM GOD" by Shawn Dall
LalanaMay

Post by LalanaMay »

Yes, usually late at night. However if the book's really really really good, I will stay up however long it takes to finish :)
MandySims
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandysims.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by MandySims »

I almost always get sleepy while reading! Sometimes even during a good part then I get all "awe, man"...
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker

Post by barb429 »

Sometimes I do, but it depends. If a book has me really interested, then I have the opposite problem- I have to stay up all night to finish it. But I do have time, especially if a book is particularly dense, when I will get super tired while reading. I have had times when I have fallen asleep while reading, lose my place, and then have to remember where I stopped.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I become sleepy when the book that I'm reading isn't action-packed and constantly involving fast paced events. The book that I'm reviewing now actually made me drowsy today (only because it was absolutely relaxing, not because it was boring).
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

I think it's a night thing, when the day is about to come to an end. Sleepiness usually sets in for me during the evening, which is after we have expended our energy for the past couple of hours. If the book is really good, I'll stay awake even if my setting is comfy (bed, plush sofa, etc.).

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”