What books/series made you fall in love with reading

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Re: What books/series made you fall in love with reading

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

Jack King 2 wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 02:20
Samantha Castanyares wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 17:52
Jack King 2 wrote: 02 Mar 2023, 18:56

What drew you to the books? Did you have friends who had read and recommended it?
It’s a good app if you finally built your own algorithm. For me, my algorithm is all about books so it keeps showing me book recs and reviews
I came across it on tiktok and i’d say, it's definitely worth it!
TikTok is a little young for me, or perhaps I’m too old for it :shock: I’m glad it can have a positive aspect and help with reading recommendations
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Word Wise Wiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-wise-wiz.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Post by Word Wise Wiz »

Jack King 2 wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 05:27
Word Wise Wiz wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 05:04 It was definitely Enid Blyton's books (especially the "Secret Seven" and "Famous Five" series) that turned me into a bibliophile. They opened up a whole world of adventure and imagination for me.
I read a lot of the Famous Five when I was younger, for some reason I don't think I ever picked up any of the Secret Seven series. In a similair vein I used to love the Hardy boys detective books as well, there was no shortage of them.
The "Secret Seven" series is about a group of child detectives and I think this series was aimed at a younger audience if I remember correctly. "Famous Five" was the series I started reading shortly thereafter and it definitely became a firm favourite for me and really sparked my appetite for adventure, which has never left me! I also loved Enid Blyton's "The Faraway Tree" - do you remember that one? A little later in childhood, it was Roald Dahl's books, as well as the Narnia series, that had me hooked.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

Word Wise Wiz wrote: 05 Mar 2023, 02:00
Jack King 2 wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 05:27
Word Wise Wiz wrote: 03 Mar 2023, 05:04 It was definitely Enid Blyton's books (especially the "Secret Seven" and "Famous Five" series) that turned me into a bibliophile. They opened up a whole world of adventure and imagination for me.
I read a lot of the Famous Five when I was younger, for some reason I don't think I ever picked up any of the Secret Seven series. In a similair vein I used to love the Hardy boys detective books as well, there was no shortage of them.
The "Secret Seven" series is about a group of child detectives and I think this series was aimed at a younger audience if I remember correctly. "Famous Five" was the series I started reading shortly thereafter and it definitely became a firm favourite for me and really sparked my appetite for adventure, which has never left me! I also loved Enid Blyton's "The Faraway Tree" - do you remember that one? A little later in childhood, it was Roald Dahl's books, as well as the Narnia series, that had me hooked.
That I don’t remember at all, I loved the Narnia books and Roald Dahl
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I know it's a simple and probably common answer, but for me, it was the Harry Potter series. It was the series I had read outside of school, and was a longer format than others (like children's books) so I was able to get a much more fulfilling experience than I'd ever had before.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

It was definitely Enid Blyton's books (especially the "Secret Seven" and "Famous Five" series) that turned me into a bibliophile. They opened up a whole world of adventure and imagination for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”