How long does it take you to finish a 500 page book?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: How long does it take you to finish a 500 page book?

Post by jamesabr »

Depending on the availability of my free time, I guess between one and two weeks. If I enjoy it enough, no more than 5 days.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

This depends on the situation. If I am dedicating most of my time to reading then a 500 page book would take about 2 days but if life gets in the way then it would take longer. It is hard to gauge since most people can't just read uninterrupted. A 1000 pages would be a least a week.
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

It depends on how much I like the book, as others have said. If I like it a lot, and nothing else comes up, 2 days.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
hazelk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by hazelk »

A long time!! I tend to steer clear of long novels.
Bandersnatch
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 20562">The Hero of Ages</a>
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bandersnatch.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Depends a lot on the book. I tore through Pat Rothfuss' books but George RR Martin's books took me way longer (although I didn't like them less)
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
noethe5
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noethe5.html
Latest Review: The Devil's template by Philip Omoniyi Adetiloye

Post by noethe5 »

It takes me less than a week to read a 500 page book, unless it bores me. Some books will hold my attention deep into the night, sacrificing sleep for completion. I can stay up all night reading if I'm captivated...and I don't even realize the time passing until the sun starts to rise. I'll finish a book that doesn't interest me, but it drags out forever. I think Anna Karenina took me over a month to get through simply because it didn't interest me.
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

It varies but on average I would say about a week.
sweetheart

Post by sweetheart »

3days
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I have been known to clear a 500 page book in 24 hours, although typically I get through a book that long in abour a day or 2. I read Breaking Dawn (Twilight Saga) in about 2 days (400 and some pages) and Everfound and Everwild (Skinjacker Trilogy) which were both about 500 or so, in a day.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
Dh_
Favorite Author: Alex Flinn
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 714">Carry On</a>
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dh.html
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
fav_author_id: 4010

Post by Dh_ »

It takes me 3-7 days for a 300-400 page book. For 500 pages I would say a week and a half, unless it's really good, because I read the Illuminae series (about 600 pages) books in about a week or less.
Latest Review: "Nobody Cares Who You Are - The Life and Times of Aceman, A Widespread Panic Roadie" by Larry Acquaviva
Tommie H Odom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1960">Sade Evans</a>
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommie-h-odom.html

Post by Tommie H Odom »

I can read a 500 page book on a good day without interruption in about two and a half hours. I am a speed reader and it doesn't take long
If it is not a good book. It will usually take longer.
Priscilla Kuali
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Priscilla Kuali »

If interesting,it will take less than a week.say four days but if not interesting,could take a week or two.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

For a 500+ page book, depending on what is happening in my life at that point in time, it would probably take me 2-3 weeks.
Bettim

Post by Bettim »

Are this 500 pages for a printed book or e-book? If the subject of a book is appealing to me, I will complete a 500-page book in one week, but if the book does not have an exciting theme, it usually takes more than a week to complete it.
A few days ago I downloaded The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger and started downloading it on the mobile phone. This ebook has 500 pages, but I've only finished 170 pages. Although the topic is fascinating, the text of the book is slightly different, but I still could not satisfy me to complete the book within a week.
Maralynx
Currently Reading: Castle in the Air
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maralynx.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maralynx »

DaniMnv wrote: 24 Mar 2015, 11:29 If it's a book in a series or something I've been waiting for. Which usually means I'm drooling until I have it in my hands, I could complete 500 pages in 24-48 hours. This also depends on whether or not I'm working when I begin the book. The longest it's taken me to read 500 pages is 48 hours. If the book is hard to get through, then perhaps a few days.
This is completely true. Objectively, If I were to take 500 pp long book, judging by my reading speed of 60-65 pages in a hour(if complex it gets down to 50-55 pp), I could read it in 14-15 hours. On the other hand, if it's a book that I have to use for uni, then probably two-three days, as I would need to analyse some parts and pick them out for a topic, essay, or a thesis. In the third case, where I have little to no interest in a book, but I was forced to read it, I would either read it for a long long time, or abandon it after a couple of pages.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”