Simple language in writing

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Simple language in writing

Post by jcheiser »

This is a topic that has come up in response to book reviews, so I thought I'd bring it up here:

I would love to have a discussion about "good" simple language versus "bad" simple language. What are some examples of each, and what elements make good simple language?

I read The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts, and since that book was written from the perspective of a child, the language (for much of it, or at the very least, the beginning of it) was simple, but expressed a lot. On the other hand, I have also read books that seemed like they were written for children based on the simple language that did not express much beyond the words themselves, but the books had content that was too mature for that audience.

So, I guess this also becomes a question of what determines reading level?

What are your thoughts, readers and writers?
Kappy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Essene Gospel of Peace
Currently Reading: McGee & Stuckey's Bountiful Container
Bookshelf Size: 762
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kappy.html
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Kappy »

Rudolf Flesch is my favorite writer on how to write clearly ...

"How can you tell good writing from bad writing? Actually, it's easier than you think. The good writer knows the tricks of his trade ... and uses them to make you, the reader, think and feel the way he want you to; the bad writer ... never really touches your mind or heart." (The Classic Guide to Better Writing [formerly The Way to Write] (1996) by Rudolf Flesch & A.H. Lass.)

"Clarity, clarity, clarity. When you become hopelessly mired in a sentence, it is best to start fresh; ... the sentence needs to be broken apart and replaced by two or more shorter sentences." (The Elements of Style (3rd Edition, 1979) by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White.)
Good Thoughts, Good Words, Good Deeds
Latest Review: "The Big Exoneration" by Dennis Sanchez
jcheiser
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcheiser.html

Post by jcheiser »

I'd love you know your own opinion, not just quotes from others that don't answer the question I asked. If all you can do is quote others, that suggests, to me, that you do not have an answer.
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

If a book isn't a science journal, the language better be simple.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

The language of a book depends on its theme and the target reader. If the book is flooded with embellished language, it's hard to follow by larger groups of the reader. Sometimes, I am carried out of the track by the language used in a book. In fictions or drama, the language, spoken in our daily conversation would do better.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
dianaterrado
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaterrado.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by dianaterrado »

I do like simple, direct writing. But not like, awkward and stilted.
"We should all have something to be weirdly passionate about."
-Bookworming-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by -Bookworming- »

If the starting of the book is difficult to comprehend.... I generally lose interest to read that book. So yeah be simple..be good. Thats the only thing I ask for.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

I think there's a difference between simple writing and showing versus telling. One can use simple language to show complex scenes and emotions, and in some cases the simple language is best for accomplishing this. As a writer, one of the best things that helped me was the Jack Kerouac quote: "One day I will find the right words and they will be simple."
You want to paint a picture with your words, as an author, but sometimes making it too abstract and flowery can detract from the overall message.
I think it also comes back to authenticity. As a reader, I can tell when an author is not "in the flow" and forced it, which I think is where some of this "bad" simple language comes from. When an author goes into it to write a children's book, and they put restrictions on themselves such as not to use too big vocabulary words or they're going to portray a particular moral, rather than writing a story, it comes across as forced and too simple. The best of children's books I've read, and the ones that still resonate with me, are the ones that felt authentic and that the author remembered what it was like to be a kid.
It also boils down to respect. If there is a lack of respect for the readers, no matter what age, and a lack of respect for the characters, the language can come across as "bad" simple.
I don't know if the authenticity and respect part made sense, but as someone who knows authors, met authors, worked with authors, I find it has a lot of influence in how they write their books.
As for reading level, that is really tough. As an author, I've sold my own books and I've also worked in a bookstore and I've had family member come in and ask me the reading level for a book, and I think a lot of it depends on the individual reader. In the same day, I've had someone ask for a book that is first-grade reading level for their kid who was reading the Harry Potter series on their own and someone ask for a book that is first-grade reading level for their kid who was struggling with Green Eggs and Ham. I've worked in kindergarten through third grade classrooms where I saw the same thing. This kid needed help reading See Spot books and this one was reading Magic Tree House by themselves.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I appreciate simplicity in writing. It makes reading smooth and easy to comprehend. It is distracting to have to consult a dictionary every now and then while reading.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

My favorite types of books are where the author is just writing the way people speak - nothing frilly or boring like a textbook. Stephen King comes to mind...
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Kappy wrote: 12 Feb 2015, 21:26 Rudolf Flesch is my favorite writer on how to write clearly ...

"How can you tell good writing from bad writing? Actually, it's easier than you think. The good writer knows the tricks of his trade ... and uses them to make you, the reader, think and feel the way he want you to; the bad writer ... never really touches your mind or heart." (The Classic Guide to Better Writing [formerly The Way to Write] (1996) by Rudolf Flesch & A.H. Lass.)

"Clarity, clarity, clarity. When you become hopelessly mired in a sentence, it is best to start fresh; ... the sentence needs to be broken apart and replaced by two or more shorter sentences." (The Elements of Style (3rd Edition, 1979) by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White.)
Thanks for the recommendations for good books on writing. I have been looking for some lately!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

I'm reading a book that would be a great example of an author using simple language in a bad way right now. It doesn't flow and they use unnecessary words when simple words will do. It's painful to read, honestly. You can get away with simple language if you make up for it in other areas, like using great descriptions.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Simple good English is my thing but having said that, creativity to drive the message at home is key.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

Simple and good English is my all time thing though creativity to drive the message home is key

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”