How much reading is too much reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Re: How much reading is too much reading?

Post by Chelsey Coles »

When your head & eyes begin to hurt! :handgestures-thumbup:
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I don't think there's something like "too much reading" unless of course the books you spend time on are completely biased in some way or if they deter you from your duties too much. Even then if the book is worth it, I don't think it's bad at all. It's by anyway Better than Playing video games all day.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

There is no much reading that is too much reading. Since I started reading books, I have never had enough of reading and I don't think I will as long as books keep being published every day. The more I read, the more I get the argue to keep on reading.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Well, there were times I got so addicted to web novels I cut my sleeping time and even forgot to eat. Not exactly a healthy behavior, but it doesn't really have to do with reading; anything is bad when you reach a certain level of obsession and disregard other stuff. I'm just very prone to falling for this trap, for better or worse. Sometimes it helps me get work done, but more often than not the price my health and other aspects of life pay isn't worth it.
morgan4hoof
Favorite Book: The Graveyard Book
Currently Reading: The Turn
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan4hoof.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by morgan4hoof »

Well, to be honest, there is never too much reading. However, I think there can be an unhealthy addiction to reading fanfictions. If you agree please send help! :)
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I'll so my chores first and get them out of the way. Once that's done, then I can relax and I can focus on my reading. I do agree that neglecting things like your family or doing adult things that need to be done is not good. I don't take my reading that far that I completely ignore the rest of the world. That would be bad. I do spend my spare time reading though. It's my way of relaxing after a long day at work.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Is there even a thing as too much reading? I think not! :D
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

LivreAmour217 wrote: 10 Feb 2015, 16:02 I personally cannot get enough of reading. However, the example that you gave about the woman who neglects her children and housework for reading is an extreme case. In my opinion, this is no worse than watching television or playing video games excessively. Anything causes someone to neglect his/her responsibilities is a problem.
I completely agree. If it affects your productivity or other duties, then it's an issue.
HanSmith97
Currently Reading: A Gentleman in Moscow
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hansmith97.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy Book 1 by Claire Youmans

Post by HanSmith97 »

HeatherEi wrote: 19 Oct 2019, 22:17
LivreAmour217 wrote: 10 Feb 2015, 16:02 I personally cannot get enough of reading. However, the example that you gave about the woman who neglects her children and housework for reading is an extreme case. In my opinion, this is no worse than watching television or playing video games excessively. Anything causes someone to neglect his/her responsibilities is a problem.
I completely agree. If it affects your productivity or other duties, then it's an issue.
This sums up my thoughts too! As a hobby or pass time it's perfect but should never take over all your time
Julianna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julianna.html
Latest Review: The Land of Sunshine and Hell by Maxene Raices

Post by Julianna »

Books can take you far away and allow you to explore things you may never get to experience. They are also one of the strongest pieces of the past. Documentation of where we come from and events that have happened. I don’t think there is any limit on how much reading is too much.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

The woman who neglects her housework and children should be introduced to audible.
JustineR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justiner.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by JustineR »

Too much reading is when it's affecting your ability to function and refusing to spend any time with a friend or loved one. If you're skipping meals and showers to read, it's too much. If you refuse to spend time with a friend or loved one <i>every time</i>, you're reading too much. It's fine to say no every once in awhile but it's every single time just to read, it's too much. If reading is impacting your ability to work, you're reading too much.

Basically, if it's negatively impacting you and/or people around you, it's too much. I view it like any other hobby, fine in free time and fine to say no to a social event every once in a while to do the hobby. But if it's not longer staying in your free time, effecting your ability to function, and you're saying no to people you care about every single time, it's too much.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

For me it's too much when you can't enjoy what you're reading due to your frenzy in reading so much.
Ciao :)
Massimo
books_andpoetri
Currently Reading: The Most Fun We Ever Had
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-books-andpoetri.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by books_andpoetri »

In general, reading is a very good exercise for the brain. However, if you are getting eye strains and/or headaches already then I believe it's time to put the book down and get some rest.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I don't think there is such a thing as too much reading. Withe every form of entertainment there needs to be a balance with your responsabilites, but books help you learn so much.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”