Top five books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BoMcKinlay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Top five books

Post by BoMcKinlay »

My friend and I were making a list of our top five favorite books of all time. How would yours look?
Kershhie
Favorite Author: Alexandra Bracken
Favorite Book: The darkest Minds
Currently Reading: In the Afterlight and King Hall
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kershhie.html
fav_author_id: 763

Post by Kershhie »

1.) The Darkest Minds - Alexandra Bracken,
2.) Never Fade - Alexandra Bracken,
3.) Iniquity - Amy A. Bartol,
4.) Under Different Stars - Amy A. Bartol,
5.) Where Rainbows End - Cecilia Adhern.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Long Time Coming(somewhat modern romance)
by Edie Claire
romance between two old friends-reveals the truth about an accident that happened 18 years ago to an 18 year old named Jenny who was their friend
Woman of Grace(historical romance)
Brides of Culdee Creek #2
by Kathleen Morgan
Hannah was a helper for Devlin's sock wife-Ella.Devlin hated having sweet Hannah around because he had some secret hidden history with her.
Fire by night(Historicak romance during the Civil War)
Refiners Fire Series
by Lynn Austin
Julia has a extremely hard life changing choice that she will make.Will she folllow her heart,passion,calling, and talent or not??
A Promise of Hope(Amish romance)
Author:Amy Clipston
Kauffman Amish Bakery Series so that should help
This might just be the best one yet(I don't know) so I won't spoil anything for you.You just simply have to read it from cover to cover.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

1. The Bible
2. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
3. The Lord of the Rings
4. To Kill A Mockingbird
5. Jane Eyre
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
E_Hunter

Post by E_Hunter »

Book #1

Heart on a Chain-Cindy C. Bennett

This was one of the first books I found on the Amazon ebook store for Kindle. It was right up my alley in taste preference.
I wish I could say this novel was over the top but unfortunately, these situations are not few and far between. Told in first person, Kate grew up in an abusive home. Kate is scared at home and at school, having no safe haven to go to. She doesn't trust anyone-with good reason. She has the thoughts and feelings that anybody who has gone through any form of abuse has.

I can't tell you how many times I had teared up, yelled at my poor Kindle and the characters but I also laughed, smiled and fell in love. I hadn't expected to stay up half the night reading this story, but I COULDN'T put it down. Yeah, one of those stories.

Henry was amazing. Their love started out slow but progressed, as did the circumstances around them. Henry became Kate's hero, a knight in shining armor. This is an innocent yet harsh story but it shows that there can be happiness and yes, a happily ever after, to those that don't believe they deserve it.

I loved the supporting characters, very little there were. Henry's little sister was adorable, dressing Kate up and adoring her like an older sister. The parents were amazing and I can only hope there are people out there just like them-amazing, kind and understanding.

Many times I had to clench my hands into fists while reading certain parts. Bully's were a huge factor in this story, just as much as Kate's mom and dad I believe.

Book #2

Significance (Significance series) by Shelly Crane

There are few stories out there that can drag me into the characters world this easy. Significance is a four book series.

This book was a sweet romance with a paranormal twist. What I loved about this is that the paranormal is almost like a subplot compared to the romance. It's there and you notice it, but its not a shove in your face paranormal compared to other books out there.

I, being a lover of cliches and romance, love the instant love. Usually a lot of people don't like this fact based on it being non realistic but since this is paranormal and the circumstances are different, it makes sense.

Caleb- The definition of book boyfriend. I actually became utterly jealous over Maggie-a fictional character!- because she got Caleb. He's the sweetest, sexiest character I've read. Understanding, amusing and completely head over heels in love with Maggie! He has hopes and dreams, fears and insecurities just like the rest of us and I like how he doesn't portray the norm for a guy.
The Jacobson's- Best family I've read about. I love Grandma! She's hilarious and witty. Caleb's parents are amazing and sweet, always there to help when Caleb needs it. They are all such a loving family, you can't help but smile.
The first kissing scene- You know how the first kiss goes. I don't even need to explain how amazing this scene was, especially if you have read this series or the Collide series by Shelly.
The ending- It was such a good ending for a first book. I nearly died when I finished reading it but I perked up out of coma when I saw the second was already out.

The paranormal behind this story was interesting. I had not yet read anything about soul mates this way before. I liked how different yet old the idea is. Soul mates, becoming one, can't be torn apart kind of idea. I'm a sucker for romance so the imprinting and basically every scene after are my favorites.

Of course this story has villains and a bumpy road for Maggie and Caleb but they handled it well. I both loved and hated Marcus. He was the epitome of evil. As well as Sikes.

I didn't have many problems with this book. I know it was more innocent compared to other YA books out there but I loved that part! It was sweet and each book that I read became a little bit edgier.

“Because you are my significant, my soul mate. And I'm yours.”

“His eyes opened and he smiled at me like he understood everything, like I was everything.”

“But... we will always be drawn together. We'll always crave each other. We'll always be in tune with each other, physically and mentally. There is nothing that can change or break that. And even if there was, I wouldn't want to. Not for the world.”

“I saw something in you that I couldn't live without. I chose you, inside of me, and you chose me. It's not one sided, it only works when both people choose the other. You are perfect for me in every way.”

Book #3

Stepbrother Dearest by Penelope Ward

From the second I started reading this, I was hooked.

When Greta's stepbrother came to live with them her senior year, she never expected him to be a major jerk and she definitely didn't expect to be attracted to him! He was gorgeous, hot and angry. Let's not forget tattooed and pierced! (you know) with a bad attitude too! Though Greta sensed something behind his behavior, something that showed he can be vulnerable and hurt. She became determined to help him.

Of course it wasn't easy! He was rude, lashed out with words and paraded girls in front of her! He hurt her a lot, but in the next moment, he protects her. To this we know, there is more to Elec then we thought.

They got past their differences, though he made sure she knew there were lines he would not cross.

Just as things were seemingly great, one call changed everything! Meaning, goodbye Elec!

But when a family tragedy brought them both back home, they were surprised to see what has changed and what hasn't.

This sexy, angst-filled story is of first love and the forbidden desires they both have. They are imperfect and mess up, making them feel human. Heart break but with healing and growth, showing that sometimes, you have to follow your heart.

"I want to be the only one to show you everything and to be the one you'll always remember for the rest of your life."

The reunion between these two nearly killed me! It was just as much painful as it was sweet. This was almost entirely through Greta's POV but at the end, it was Elec's. Which was sweet and just what I needed. It felt whole and completed.

I grew annoyed when I had to set my Kindle down. There was no good spot to just stop reading. I needed to know what happened next!

I love these characters. I felt for them and cheered them on. When they hurt, I hurt just a much-maybe even more!

Book #4

Finding Autumn by Heather Wood

“But I was learning forgiveness didn't have to be about granting absolution for sins but being able to find freedom from pain.”

Autumn Dorey ran away to college, leaving her town and rumors behind her. High School left her tired, emotionally, and in pain physically. However, she's determined to reinvent herself.

Blake Preston is the running back star for Cook University's football team. He is a god in football and life. When he meets Autumn he seems angry at her but later spends time with her.

It didn't take forever for them to figure out what they really want-each other-but secrets have a way of getting into the middle.

"Things from before that I can't tell you. I should tell you, but I don't want it to ruin everything. Because it feels like what we have is fragile and the more you get to know about me, the more likely it will all shatter."

I adore Autumn. She hit rock bottom due to being bullied. I loved that she told her parents. Sometime characters never tell anyone but this one did and it made it far better in my opinion.

Blake is loyal despite his family problems. He really struggled with his secret and you could tell he was just frightened about what would happen once it came out.

The ending is a HEA with NO cliffhanger. Thank goodness.

"I love you and what we have is stronger than anything I felt before. We have something real and I never want to let you go. I see you smile at me when you wake up in my arms and I want that every day for the rest of our lives. I want to be the kind of man that gives someone as incredible as you a reason to smile."

There is a second book to the series and it has to do with someone from this book! It was also worth the read!

Book #5 *drum roll please*

Cut and Run (Aspen Eyes #1) by Amy Elizabeth

This is a three part series filled with emotion, happiness, grief and love.

I'm not usually one to read series (especially if its based on the same characters) but I gave this one ago because it had horses. And cowboys ;)

I adored Rebecca. She came from a terrible upbringing, breaking free of it when she graduated high school. She heads to Wyoming, where her brother lives. From there, she gets a job at the Flying W ranch, working with horses.

We don't get to see much of her brother in this one. He's there and will pop up randomly, so I didn't feel close to him but when he was around, he was a great brother.

Rebecca gets into the life of ranching, having made friends while there. Tommy-I adored him too. He's that sweet guy who you know has a thing for Rebecca. As a reader, I knew he had a thing with her and at first, I thought why not?

Then Alec came into the picture.

Cowboy indeed.

Alec hasn't had it the best for a past couple of years. His father was in an accident, leaving him paralyzed. Alec had to take over the farm. Alec was angry and did not want Rebecca on his farm. His father on the other hand, did.

As time went on, Rebecca and Alec became closer but this story isn't without its troubles. Rebecca had more problems- decisions- in her life that needed to be taken care of.

I was starting to think this story wouldn't have a happily ever after-realizing its a series-and was dreading the end when their blissful time together would end. It didn't. I was pleasantly surprised that the ending was a happy one but also lead into the next story.

There was mystery to this story also. It didn't play a huge part but it was subtly there. Was I surprised when I learned everything? Not really but nevertheless, it was good.

Now, I didn't feel totally connected to Alec. I thought he was just too-uncaring- to be with Rebecca. We hardly learned anything about the guy and that's what took place in the second story-getting to know him.

While I'm glad they ending on a good note, I knew it wasn't over yet. With two other books to read, I prepared myself for more heartache. Boy, did I get that.

Take my advice, read the series. The ranch was described beautifully and I fell in love with Pumpkin and the other horses.

There are my top five-so far, it changes all the time!- :D
KristineNicole
Favorite Author: Emily Bronte
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: The Snow Child By Eowym Ivey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristinenicole.html
fav_author_id: 2494

Post by KristineNicole »

1. 'Wuthering Heights.' by Emily Bronte.
2. 'Treat Me Like Dirt.' by Liz Worth.
3. 'Trouble In The Camera Club.' by Don Pyle.
4. 'The Divine Comedy.' by Dante Aligheri.
5. 'The Ballads Of Suburbia. ' by Stephanie Kuehnert.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

The top five for my list would be:
1. Hook a Fish, Catch a Mountain by Jean Craighead George.
2. Mary of Nazareth by Esther Kellner.
3. Support Your Local Wizard by Diane Duane.
4. Wonder by R.J. Palacio.
5. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
alyssaemerson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssaemerson.html

Post by alyssaemerson »

1. The Help, Kathryn Stockett
2. The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenegger
3. Where the Heart Is, Billie Letts
4. The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory
5. True Colors, Kristen Hannah
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

1.The Gambler by Dostoevsky( 1866 )
2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte ( 1847 )
3.Our Mutual Friend by C.Dickens ( 1864-65 )
4.The Idiot by Dostoevsky ( 1868 )
5.The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann ( 1924 )
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Top 5? In no particular order:

The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Flowers in the Attic by VC Andrews
Boy's Life by Robert R McCammon
avid reader28
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avid-reader28.html

Post by avid reader28 »

The Lord of the Rings
To Kill A Mockingbir
The Idiot by Dostoevsky
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
The Gambler by Dostoevsky
crenner07
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crenner07.html

Post by crenner07 »

These are not always in the same order, that will literally change by the moment. However the list itself rarely changes.

1) The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien
2) Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
3) The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (I love the entire series, but if I have to pick one from them it's this one.)
4) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling (Please see the reasoning from above.)
5) Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

1. The Kestrel by Lloyd Alexander
2. East of Eden by John Steinbeck
3. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
4. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
5. Richard II by William Shakespeare
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
booklvr62
Favorite Author: Richard Preston many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Dandelion Wine</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by booklvr62 »

Dandelion Wine (Green Town #1) by Ray Bradbury

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2) by Ray Bradbury

The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston

How Not To Live Abroad by Shaun Briley

The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

1) The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
2) The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
3) Every Dead Thing by John Connolly
4) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
5) I'm having a hard time choosing the final one, it might be a tie between Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell and Fall on Your Knees by Ann-Marie MacDonald...but there are so many other great books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”