Do you find comfort being in a bookstore?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Eva Nyaburi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-nyaburi.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Re: Do you find comfort being in a bookstore?

Post by Eva Nyaburi »

I love being in the bookstores and being surrounded by so many books. I always have a hard time choosing what I want and what to leave behind. Books always feel like home to me.
lily-789
Currently Reading: The Diamond Eye
Bookshelf Size: 76

Post by lily-789 »

Yes. I wish I could just stay in the bookstore and read every book cover to cover.
Tracy Harris 1
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

Oh yes! The smell of the paper, the potential for all the new 'worlds' 'people' and knowledge you can escape to.
It's super comforting and relaxing in its own right.
AllTooWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alltoowell.html
Latest Review: Unlight by Chandra Shekhar

Post by AllTooWell »

mlc101178 wrote: 20 Oct 2014, 12:17 For me, there is nothing more comforting than the feel/smell of a book store. From new to used, it doesn't matter. I can forget my worries and get completely lost in others words and dreams. Even if it is just for a little while.
I HAVE to visit bookstores when I travel. I love doing it in my city but I get relaxed after a long day sightseeing, there is nothing quite like smelling a book, browsing and maybe buying a couple of books.
McAlpine
Currently Reading: The IHOP Papers
Bookshelf Size: 165

Post by McAlpine »

Yes, absolutely! I have always loved bookstores. It was a great fascination of mine when I was a child. I was always thrilled to see all the work that authors and publishers had put into the books. I still feel some of the thrill! There are much fewer bookstores now. It seems that all the business went to online bookstores. I miss the selection of bookstores very much.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

The comforting atmosphere it gives me is something I consider "home".
Eunice May Eamiguel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Eunice May Eamiguel »

I love bookstores! I've been surrounded by books since I was little. I love browsing through the shelves, touching the books, looking for new treasures. Books have a certain smell that is so comforting. I can get lost in it for hours.
Whenever I see a bookstore, I just can't help myself but go in and browse through for a possible purchase.
Shane Lucey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-lucey.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall

Post by Shane Lucey »

Not really. I find it fairly difficult to get a good book recommendation from a book store in comparison to the vast amount of information available online. I find myself walking around the smaller bookstores a bit, feeling a small sense of pressure and/or judgment from the smalltime shop employee and then locating the nearest exit. If it is a bigger store like Barnes & Noble I almost never find a good deal on a book.

I much prefer bringing my own read to a cozy coffee shop. I am also fortunate enough to have a pretty good library nearby with a pretty extensive catalog. I also appreciate that the staff are not desperately needing sales and will just casually talk about a given genre or book with me.
Liza Chulukhadze
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liza-chulukhadze.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Liza Chulukhadze »

There's one local book store near my house. It is the most comforting place ever, have spent hours roaming around in it. But I can't find that type of comfort in lot of the book stores, some of them are just very unwelcoming.
Anna_Hernandez
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: American Dirt
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-hernandez.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Anna_Hernandez »

Yes! Bookstores have a wonderfully comforting atmosphere for me. People may see readers as unusual, but those in bookstores share a common goal: to find another world within the pages of a book. They want to go on a thrilling mystery adventure, travel back in time, or even navigate a Thanksgiving dinner. I feel a sense of belonging in bookstores because of this shared passion for reading :)
Hannah Hampton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-hampton.html
Latest Review: Forbidden Knowledge by Terence H.Young

Post by Hannah Hampton »

I do find comfort in being in a bookstore! I feel the same way in libraries. Being surrounded by books is so exciting - there is so much potential, and I always have the urge to explore the stacks of books to find a new read.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

Absolutely, so much so that I always had a secret and unfulfilled desire to own a bookshop that never had any customers, so that I could just spend my working day reading quietly in peace in my own shop. Definitely wouldn't be a good business idea though.
Word Wise Wiz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-word-wise-wiz.html
Latest Review: Coming Full Circle: Healing Trauma Using Psychedelics by Shannon Duncan

Post by Word Wise Wiz »

I could spend hours in any book store, and usually do just that! They are definitely a place of comfort for me and allow me to unwind. Second hand book shops are one of my favourite places to explore, and every book there has a story beyond the words on its pages.
Ma Leonarda Castañares
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-leonarda-casta-ares.html

Post by Ma Leonarda Castañares »

The smell of books is what keeps me from returning to bookstores ^^ their smell alone offers me comfort
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

There is no where I'd rather be than a small bookstore. I want to grab an armload of the newest selections, sit in a corner and read all the summaries. I can spend hours browsing shelves. Before I leave, I must own a new book, map or something!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”