Reading on the computer

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
YessiGray
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yessigray.html

Reading on the computer

Post by YessiGray »

The most common form of reading is through kindle, nook, or solid books. But some find that reading on the computer is more efficient. What do you think? Do you think your computer is just an over sized e-reader?
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

I enjoy reading on the computer. I prefer having the ability to carry the digital copy around like on a tablet or so.
Ropis
Favorite Author: Stephen King
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Ropis »

I read on the computer (PC) but I don't like it. I prefer to read e-books on my Kindle :wink:
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph W. Emerson
YessiGray
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yessigray.html

Post by YessiGray »

That's my personal taste as well. Portable :)
knighthkm
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Also too many
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knighthkm.html
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce

Post by knighthkm »

I don't like reading on electronics but if I had to I would say Kindle. Paper books are the best though :)
Latest Review: "The Big Cats" by Enid Joyce
TheSheep
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by TheSheep »

I can see why reading on the computer is efficient, but it offers functions that isn't readily available through books, nooks, etc. For instance, copying and pasting or being able to easily define a word. But for me, i'm just unable to read on the computer...it's probably just personal taste but when it comes to reading leisurely it has to be an actual physical book. However, i usually do most of my academic reading (i.e. articles) on the computer, so in that sense it really depends on what i'm reading something for...leisure vs. school/research.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Not having an e-reader my laptop is my only option if i want to read a Kindle of PDF book. Not a matter of choice, but necessity.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't like to read books on my PC and find it more comfortable to read on my Kindle.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Cenna
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cenna.html

Post by Cenna »

I used to mostly read on my computer because I didn't have an ereader. I prefer reading on my tablet and I tend to shift a lot when I read so it's just easier for me.
mellysw
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mellysw.html

Post by mellysw »

My preference has little to do with the medium itself as much as the portability and location of the medium. I don't mind reading on my computer at all, but most of the time when I read I do so in bed. Even my laptop can be a bit unwieldy when I am in bed, so generally when I read I prefer a book or my nook or - when I get it - my kindle.
LSWS07
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lsws07.html
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland

Post by LSWS07 »

I read in all forms, but reading on the computer is so tiring! It strains the eyes and sitting for long periods messes with your body.
Latest Review: "Out of the Shadows and into the Darkness" by Senta Holland
Anna-Violet_95

Post by Anna-Violet_95 »

TheSheep wrote:I can see why reading on the computer is efficient, but it offers functions that isn't readily available through books, nooks, etc. For instance, copying and pasting or being able to easily define a word. But for me, i'm just unable to read on the computer...it's probably just personal taste but when it comes to reading leisurely it has to be an actual physical book. However, i usually do most of my academic reading (i.e. articles) on the computer, so in that sense it really depends on what i'm reading something for...leisure vs. school/research.
I completely agree with you about the fact that the computer is more efficient that the other books' versions: I mean about practicality in learning or in work in general. However the paper book is the only way of reading if you really want to enjoy a real book. So, according to me, tablet, kindle and the rest of them, could be considered a sort of meeting point, even if they will always be my last choice.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Post by BookWorm07 »

I used to read in my laptop, but now I just use my phone. Its much more portable and easier to read.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I used to always read on PC, but only because I read from the site fictionpress. And I didn't have any kind of tablet at that time. I don't find it convenient at all now. It feels more like "work" and not as much like fun to me. Plus it's just not portable.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Since I do most of my reading in my bed, I have found that bringing the computer in bed with me is highly impractical. It takes up way too much room. It's definitely a bed hog! :lol:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”