Reading on the computer

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Re: Reading on the computer

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I often download ebooks from different sites and read them in my laptop while at home or during breaks in workplace and in my phone while I am travelling. I also use the kindle app in my phone. All of these work fine for me.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by nikkyteewhy »

I really enjoy reading on my computer I have over 30 books I've download and waiting to read. Its cool how one minute I am studying then when I get tired, I start to read a book to relax without changing device.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I prefer reading from hard copies. Reading from computers often gives me headaches. I often struggle getting myself into a story when I'm reading it from electronics.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I don't like reading from the computer because you usually have to be in a full upright position to read the monitor. It's much nicer to have a book or handheld e-reader that allows you to curl up and slouch on the couch a bit.
Eclectic_novels
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclectic-novels.html
Latest Review: The Elf Coup - Book Three of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by Eclectic_novels »

I am currently reading on the computer but prefer actual books. It is harder to hold the computer and read as Dael Reader said. I want to curl up or lay down and be comfortable without the bulky computer.
Moonlight91
Currently Reading: Serial K Returns
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moonlight91 »

I have to read on my laptop for work. It would be just a waste of paper to print everything out. :-(
I would very much prefer to read on paper though. Better for the eyes ;-)

I think an e-book reader wouldn't be for me, because I don't want to have yet another electronic device.
MsLisa
Currently Reading: Twisted But True
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslisa.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by MsLisa »

A physical book is an ideal situation for me. I don't really like reading on electronic devices, my eyes can be sensitive and the screen from the light bothers me if its too low I can't see the words, If its too bright my eyes hurt and get dry. It never stopped me from reading them online though but I prefer a physical book.
StephanieCorinne22
Currently Reading: Counted Righteous in Christ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephaniecorinne22.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by StephanieCorinne22 »

I don't like reading on computers. It is just too big! I love reading paper books and will choose that option every time, but if I have to, I am fine reading on my kindle.
RichardHaight
Bookshelf Size: 0
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of The Unbound Soul

Post by RichardHaight »

I do the vast majority of my reading on my computer. I have a very large screen, which helps. I am an author, so because I spend a lot of my days writing on a computer, I guess I have acclimated to reading through my computer. I do like reader paperbacks, however. I do not enjoy reading through e-reader devices for some reason...not sure exactly why.
sbcal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by sbcal »

I prefer something at hand when reading and only use the large screen for reading if it is necessary. I like paperbacks more, but tend to stick with a tablet now as most books have digital versions. This is much easier to carry around and multiple books can be stored at once.
PABS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pabs.html
Latest Review: This Side of Paradise: the Religious World of Elijah Muhammad by Curtis J. Tilleraas

Post by PABS »

I don't live in my native country and don't like reading in my second language, so I often read books on my computer. It is not as pleasant as reading a physical book. I love everything about reading with the actual book in my hand--the crackle of the page when I turn it, the smell of a book (particularly an old book), the weight of the book in my hand or writing my comments in the margin (really making the book a conversation with the author).
JoeyG01
Currently Reading:

Post by JoeyG01 »

I read on my computer quite a lot. Sometimes I like background noise on while I'm reading. So I put a movie/tv show/sports on one desktop and a book on another and switch between the two. One of the reasons why I love my mac, they make the three finger swipe to a new desktop so easy
Taekwondoqueen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taekwondoqueen.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Taekwondoqueen »

I have always preferred reading with a real book, but I think that I will try reading on the computer once I get one.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I think the computer is a too oversized e-reader. It is very inconvenient when trying to get comfortable and sit in for a night of reading. For the longest, I could not get into wanting to read anything that was not in physical book form yet I have found my Kindle to be very efficient and is what I prefer not to have a physical book.
Chelsea N. Hackett
swlly
Currently Reading: City of Bones; (The Mortal Instuments)
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swlly.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by swlly »

I love reading on my computer since it’s usually two pages from the book made into one page so it can fit the screen and i’ll finish so much faster.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”