Reading on the computer

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
njzeba
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njzeba.html

Re: Reading on the computer

Post by njzeba »

I have kindle on my computer though. And I actually prefer reading an actual book (as in have the actual physical book in my hands). Reading on a small screen actually pisses me off I'm not sure why so I guess reading on a computer is a lot better than reading on an ipad or phone
jungkookblog
Currently Reading: Unspeakable Acts
Bookshelf Size: 217
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jungkookblog.html

Post by jungkookblog »

I don't read much on electronics. But I do love reading webtoons
Rhoe_Marrow
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhoe-marrow.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Rhoe_Marrow »

I don't like, but sometimes I gotta do it. reading from the real thing can get a tad expensive and you can find plenty of stories online for free.
easy_dc13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-easy-dc13.html
Latest Review: A Trace of Revenge by Lyle Howard

Post by easy_dc13 »

I've found reading on a computer to be efficient. Though it's not that great when you're in bed or just sitting upright.
AnitaOlsen
Currently Reading: Star Trek Federation
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anitaolsen.html

Post by AnitaOlsen »

I prefer to read my books in paper but reading on the computer works. It is just that I tend to get distracted more easily while reading on the computer.
KatLady9
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KatLady9 »

I am able to stay engaged on my Kindle or Ipad, but as soon as I begin reading on the computer I doze off. I think I associate the computer with typing and researching and not leisure reading.
cbradshawphil
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cbradshawphil.html

Post by cbradshawphil »

Reading in the computer is the best when you are at the office but it is more convenient to use a tablet or iPad if you are at the bus or taxi. Using tablet is more suitable for me because I am always on the go. Also, I am a type of the reader that don't like to keep hanging.
barb429
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barb429.html
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by barb429 »

Even though technically it shouldn't be different than reading on my Kindle, I prefer that to reading on a computer (but I do prefer a physical book to them all). Since the computer that I use the most often is a laptop, I find that it is hard for me to get comfortable if I am reading on a computer. I also don't feel as though I retain the information as well- I'm not sure why that is, but when I have taken online course, I've had to print articles out rather than read them on the computer.
Latest Review: "Tears That Changed a Nation" by Charles L. Tucker
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I prefer to be sitting on something soft, like a couch, with a cup of a good beverage, while reading so the computer is out for reading for pleasure.
lily_kh87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-kh87.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by lily_kh87 »

I don't like reading on the computer...i find it annoying
Rhymis
Currently Reading: Creep
Bookshelf Size: 351
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhymis.html

Post by Rhymis »

Back before I had a smartphone, I read ebooks on our PC. It was actually the first time I got sick because I'd been reading the Cirque du Freak books day after day. I didn't think I would ever get sick from reading on the computer, but I did. Sigh. Thankfully, I have a smartphone now and multiple e-reading apps so it's easier :)
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

Like some people have already said... reading on a computer can be uncomfortable since you're not given many choices as to how and where you want to sit and sitting in one position for a long time would be a pain. So I guess you couldn't read that long when you're reading on a computer. Also I find it harder to read on a computer because the screen is so big and it's easy to lose your place or to drift off and not ever really get into the story.
jamesabr
Currently Reading: The Gulf
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesabr.html
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by jamesabr »

I like reading eBooks. I prefer hard copies, but eBooks are great in their own ways. I can access the internet dictionaries whenever I'm stumped with an unfamiliar word.
Latest Review: "Adam Exitus" by Nicholas Abdilla
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

I prefer not to read on the computer or any form of electronics...I love my paperbacks.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

The one advantage to reading on the computer is that it's easy to google something or go to wikipedia for some information, or you can catch a few pages between regular work, but you're pretty much stuck in one sitting spot. E-reader gives you the option to move to a comfier location and it's easier to take with you when you're travelling. Plus an e-reader is better on the eyes.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”