Do your eyes hurt while you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
krood10
Currently Reading: gray wolf throne
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krood10.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Re: Do your eyes hurt while you read?

Post by krood10 »

If I'm reading an electronic device with a backlit screen (my computer or iPhone), then my eyes start to hurt. If I'm reading an actual book or on my Kindle (it's an old school one, no backlight) then I can go for hours. If the room is too dark my eyes can start to hurt from straining. If they start to hurt, I can usually take a five/ten minute break and be good for a while.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

I had to ask an optometrist with this one. My eye strain actually was a result of mild farsightedness. It wasn't strong enough to get a prescription, but just enough that he recommended I start wearing reading glasses. I bought a pair and now my eyes rarely bother me while reading.
JCFindley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JCFindley »

If I have read all day
rosemarieshort
Currently Reading: Vanity Fair
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemarieshort.html

Post by rosemarieshort »

Yep - avoid eye strain, take a break and come back later!!
MgNell
Currently Reading: The Blackthorn Key
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mgnell.html
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl

Post by MgNell »

When i read a good book my eyes start hurting because i can`t stop! My mom gave me eye drops, which help me a lot, but the best is the rest :D
Latest Review: "Lakeman" by Dhruv Behl
GandalfTheFey

Post by GandalfTheFey »

You better believe it! That's how I know I've read a proper amount.
K_PageByPage
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by K_PageByPage »

My eyes used to bother me all the time when I read for long periods of time and I knew I had had perfect vision for years so I never thought anything of it. Sometimes, I would develop what I thought was just a random headache and it would be hard to get my eyes to focus on objects farther away after having my nose in a book for hours. I just assumed I was just reading for "too long." Then one day I went in for a normal check-up at the optometrist and I found out I had a slight Astigmatism in my left eye! The optometrist said I could easily get rid of my ridiculous eyes strain and the headaches that would follow after extended periods of reading. He prescribed some low magnification reading glasses for me to use and now I can read to my heart's content! So, from reader-to-reader, If you have the same problems I had with my eyes, I would suggest you talk to your eye doctor about it. There is nothing better than being able to read for hours upon end without any consequences! It's totally worth it.
Jojowrites4All
Favorite Author: L.A. Banks
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2847">The Great Gatsby</a>
Currently Reading: Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelation of the Sons of Yah
Bookshelf Size: 514
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jojowrites4all.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 8337

Post by Jojowrites4All »

Eye strain about 5 hours in and a possible headache. My eye doc fuss at every visit. So, I've learned to break to rest my eyes.
~ A Lack of Preparation on Your Part - Doesn't Constitute an Emergency on My Part~
VinuW
Favorite Author: Richelle Mead
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinuw.html
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
fav_author_id: 782

Post by VinuW »

It happens if I read at a stretch, especially at night. But this only happens if it's an eBook.
“He who jumps may fall, but he may also fly. It’s time to jump.” Lauren Oliver, Requiem
Latest Review: "The Prodigal Daughter" by Patricia Nmukoso Enyi
Joliedesu
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joliedesu.html

Post by Joliedesu »

It used to happen a lot, but at the end I just found out I needed glasses. Not that much anymore B)
twinsmom2
Currently Reading: Deadly Sixteen
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twinsmom2.html

Post by twinsmom2 »

My eyes also hurt after a couple hours of reading. They hurt more while reading from my cell phone.
jimandvona
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimandvona.html

Post by jimandvona »

My eyes didn't used to do this, I could read for hours. While I cooked, while I was riding in the car, etc. It's only here in the last few years that I find my eyes hurting and not only that but they get heavy when I sit or lay to read a book. I am contributing it to getting older. I used to be able to read 500 page books in less than 2 days.
Bookdaisy200
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Bookdaisy200 »

Yes, my eyes do and its usualy accompianed by a headache (my luck). when that happens i usally take a break, or do a other activity
kookiemonstor
Currently Reading: Brimstone
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kookiemonstor.html

Post by kookiemonstor »

Only if I'm reading on a screen. Paper never has that effect on me.
Shinigami_Girl
Currently Reading: Anno Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinigami-girl.html

Post by Shinigami_Girl »

If your eyes are hurting while reading a lot then you should take regular breaks. I was born with a stigmatism in my left eye, so I have to wear my glasses all the time. My glasses make my head hurt and I get migraine when I wear them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”