Which do you like more? Historical, Paranormal or Modern?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Jesska6029
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Harry Potter series
Currently Reading: It and Mr. Mercedes
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesska6029.html
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Which do you like more? Historical, Paranormal or Modern

Post by Jesska6029 »

It's really hard to pick a favorite! If I read Historical novels, I read Lisa Kleypas because she is great! I usually find her characters to be really endearing.

I love Paranormal Romance novels. I always think the common conventions in the genre gives novels a little something extra.
“Some failure in life is inevitable. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.” ~J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Texaners: Eight Short Stories" by T. F. Rhoden
csimmons032
Favorite Author: Stephenie Meyer
Favorite Book: Twilight and The Last Song
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 706
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csimmons032.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
fav_author_id: 2594

Post by csimmons032 »

I love historical novels. Although I mostly read Christian fiction novels that are historical. What I love about historical fiction is that you get to go back to a certain time. You get to see what life was like in in a specific period or place. It is always fun to experience new things. I like it when they are fun and have a good romance in the mix as well.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
msmail12
Favorite Author: Allyson James
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmail12.html
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
fav_author_id: 8178

Post by msmail12 »

I prefer mash-ups of some kind if I can get them although historical romance is the toughest one to get into because I am a history major, so I tend to go crazy and nit picky about details which distract me. This can make stories involving mythology tough too since I read the original myths in both history and English classes, but when they get it right, it is so beautiful and wonderful that it adds an extra awesome element to the stories for them. That being said, Sherrilyn Kenyon is probably my favorite paranormal author out there because she starts with a solid base and then takes creative license with the continuation of the story, and she is a great writer. Sandra Hill probably mashes all of this the best in her Viking II series which follows a family of Vikings that accidentally time travel many times over. She is probably one of the funniest authors that I have ever read, plus what is funnier than a Viking in time traveling to the 21st century with his brood of kids and trying to single parent while adjusting to the craziness of the modern world and his children's fascination with it?
Latest Review: "The Road to Round Mountain" by C.G. Roberts
Wolfie808
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfie808.html

Post by Wolfie808 »

It's hard to pick just one...lol. All of them have their own appeal to them.

I like historical because the story is normally set in a time where woman are "given away" to another man for marriage for personal gain. I like those kind of books if the lead female tries to get out of the arrange marriage by finding someone else or of the woman does go along with it and eventually falls in love with the man.

I like modern romance because most of us can relate to it. It seems more realistic, more common like we can definitely see it happened in everyday life. Gives off the whole "sounds like what happened between me and my boyfriend" or "isn't that what happened in my friends relationship?"

However, if I had to pick the one I prefer over all 3 I would pick paranormal romance. I love reading shifter romances especially wolves. Most of the lead males in those books are Alphas and have this commanding presence that I respond to. I also love that most werewolf books are all about finding that "one true mate". Call me a hopeless romantic, but I do believe that there is that one person out there for you who can complete you in every way.
kindy131
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kindy131.html

Post by kindy131 »

Modern for me. I like the young adult, college, bad boy romances. I never fully understand why paranormal is so popular. I guess everyone is different.
geokika
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by geokika »

For me it has to be modern and specifically New Adult. I've tried reading historical and paranormal, and i definitely won't say no to a good well-written book in any romance sub-genre, but New Adult is what i usually seek out.
My favorite books are "Thoughtless" and "It's all relative" by S.C Stephens. "It's all relative" has never been published but i downloaded it.
Siobhan151
Currently Reading: Feel The Heat Box-Set
Bookshelf Size: 187
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siobhan151.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Siobhan151 »

I have my favorites from all three, but I truly do love the Paranormal. Paranormal has more of an edge to it that the others don't. But I can switch back-and-forth depending on my mood. The Paranormal has always fascinated me, so I think that's one of it's major draws.
rdelonge
Currently Reading: The Hurricane Sisters
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdelonge.html

Post by rdelonge »

The Paranormal is one of my favorites. A lot of people won't admit to having experiences at all, so reading about them (even the fiction romance ones) fascinate me.
memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-memory.html
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood

Post by memory »

I like paranormal and historical best. I generally can't get into modern as much.
Latest Review: "Rogue & Royal" by Alan S. Blood
ebarnard_10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebarnard-10.html

Post by ebarnard_10 »

I prefer historical romance; for me, the different time period and setting greatly adds to the drama of the romance.
carrie_anne80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carrie-anne80.html

Post by carrie_anne80 »

I tend to enjoy Modern romance more, however I have read both Historical and Paranormal that I have enjoyed if it is well written it is sometimes nice to get lost in a different world.
phansen4

Post by phansen4 »

I love paranormal i dont have a favorite writer i love them all Christine Feehan,for one is a great writer when i read them i can feel like i am there with the character that i am in the book it is great
time_traveler

Post by time_traveler »

Historical. You can experience the past while in the present.
elsagomes

Post by elsagomes »

I enjoy more modern better. The historical ones I have read were a bit boring for me and I don't think I've read any paranormal ones, maybe I should try them out.
jen_the_hen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-the-hen.html

Post by jen_the_hen »

Modern is my favorite because out of everything it just seems the most relatable. And I don't know about you but I'd like to think that something that happens in a romance novel could happen to me! :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”