Which do you like more? Historical, Paranormal or Modern?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
SharisseEM
Favorite Author: Mia Sheridan
Favorite Book: Stinger
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharisseem.html
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
fav_author_id: 3312

Which do you like more? Historical, Paranormal or Modern?

Post by SharisseEM »

As per the title, which subgenre do you prefer for your romance? Erotica or otherwise. And what do you like about them? Also, which is your favourite book for the one you've chosen? This doesn't have to be limited to the three I've listed. You can choose other subgenres like Sci-Fi for example.

I recently read a Historical Erotica novel by Jess Michaels a.k.a Jenna Petersen called 'Taboo' and I believe it's the first one of it's subgenre that I've read. I enjoyed the twists it brought to the otherwise conservative era.
“I don't suffer from my insanity -- I enjoy every minute of it.”
Latest Review: "The Bonding" by Imogen Keeper
sember987
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sember987.html

Post by sember987 »

I enjoy Paranormal erotica. I enjoy the different supernatural characters the authors come up with. I don't have a favorite book in this genre, but I do love the Anita Blake series.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Paranormal for me!
I like the paranormal anyway so it just fits me.
Plus I like when an author can pull me completely into the fantasy world they build.
So yeah...paranormal :mrgreen:

I like this topic! Thank you for it.
I'm hoping this site eventually has a seperate section for the different sub-genres (or at least a way to sort it easily) for both romance and fantasy/sci-fi.
I get so disappointed when I click onto a book because it sounds paranormal and it isn't :?
We need tags, or somewhere to put key words in the first post, or something.

I'm very interested to see further posts :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Paranormal and Historical for me. Erotica isn't my cup of tea.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Paranormal all the way!!! Historical is BLEH to me.
RachelB

Post by RachelB »

Historical and Paranormal for me....I love being pulled into a different time with historical books. Paranormal books are awesome to me! I am very interested in the paranormal so naturally I love reading/watching anything paranormal. :)
doppelganger
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doppelganger.html

Post by doppelganger »

When reading for pleasure, I prefer paranormal. I can get the historical and romantic outside of a book, so the paranormal is where I escape to.
hollirm
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollirm.html

Post by hollirm »

I believe that I might have said 'Taboo', it may be a different book but it was a historical romance and was really good, I loved it. But, I usually like fantasy/paranormal/supernatural romance.
Archie1791
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

Modern and Historic. :)
leila23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leila23.html

Post by leila23 »

I like historical romance and modern erotica. I like reading both, but I like them in a different way. I read historical romance when I want to immerse myself in another time period.
I don't really have a favorite book, because there's too many to choose from. However, I have a few favorite historical romance authors- Julia Quinn, Lynsay Sands, Cathy Maxwell, and Sabrina Jeffries. My favorite modern erotica author is Lorelei James. I love every book in her Rough Riders and Blacktop Cowboy series.
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

I prefer historical and paranormal, since I like to read romance as escapism, and what's more escapist than leaving the modern world?
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
stacihunsinger
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacihunsinger.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by stacihunsinger »

I admit that it depends on the mood that I am in. I have read all sorts of books, from paranormal to historical to contemporary. All are good in their own right depending on the mood that I feel like reading.
romance-reader

Post by romance-reader »

I seem to go through phases. When I was in my teens I used to read a lot of historical romance books. Now I read all different types of romance genres. At the moment I am in a Young Adult/New Romance phase.
lizj97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizj97.html

Post by lizj97 »

I like Paranormal the best since I like this genre in general. I like to know what others are thinking and ways they develop the paranormal. It is interesting to know the depths the mind can go to in making fantastic things seem believable or even like they are already part of normal existence.
charlotte florentine

Post by charlotte florentine »

I enjoy historical fiction most of all because it is escapism from the modern and the mundane. I like to picture the costumes and grand settings and put myself in a time and place where I can't physically be. I see enough of the modern world and prefer not to read about it as well. Any non-generic novels I have read tend to be written before the seventies. ''Wolf Hall'' by Hilary Mantel is a fantastic evocation of life in Henry the Eighth's England; the Thames is described so vividly by Mantel as to be a character in itself. Norah Lofts is another favourite writer of mine in this genre. Also, I mustn't forget ''Memoirs of a Geisha'', which conjures up the feel of old Japan, its beautiful gardens and its geisha culture.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”