Are you a book sniffer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kitsune1997
Favorite Author: Derek Laundy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitsune1997.html
Latest Review: The Devil Pulls the Strings by J. W. Zarek

Re: Are you a book sniffer?

Post by kitsune1997 »

I used to do it, when i was younger, around 10 years old i think, but i dont do it anymore, though when i read a book i do love the smell of pages :) But generally i dont.
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
Jorge Luis Borges
bibliophile99
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile99.html

Post by bibliophile99 »

I LOVE the smell of old books. I own a lot of old books so my room always has the faint smell of musty books. It is honestly one of my favorite smells in the world. I smell my books before i read them.
iamtai
Currently Reading: Elyon
Bookshelf Size: 1101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamtai.html
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz & Richard Allen Waite

Post by iamtai »

I almost don't trust people who aren't book sniffers. How can you not inhale the scent of fresh paper and ink? Or aged paper and ink! They both have such a distinct smell, it just calms my soul.

Also, unrelated to the smell, the spine-crack of a newly opened book...ugh. Yes indeed.
Latest Review: "Drive East Until You Hit An Ocean" by J. Walter Swartz & Richard Allen Waite
BayleetheBookworm
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bayleethebookworm.html

Post by BayleetheBookworm »

Sniffing the book is one of the very first things I do when I pick it up the first time. I try not to do it if anyone is around in the book store.
tayquita
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by tayquita »

Books smell so good honestly!
seelkins
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seelkins.html

Post by seelkins »

I must admit that this is one of my guilty pleasures. Glad to see that I am not the only one.
Taylor Hagen
Currently Reading: Reached
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hagen.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Taylor Hagen »

yes! i love the smell of the paper and ink mixed together
Mitj4
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Mitj4 »

Nop.. I don't have to smell the book to know that it has a potencial :)
Mybe I did smell one book, but I think it was in the attic for a long time (40 years) and the smell was..you know..nothing like a book.. :)
Metomorpher
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39907">The Bachman Books</a>
Currently Reading: The Sky Drifter
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-metomorpher.html

Post by Metomorpher »

Yes!!!! I love the smell of all books: library books, old books, new books, text books, journals.
Allot of people I talk to about this shudder when they hear how much I love the smell of library books because it's basically the smell of a hundred peoples finger sweat but I don't care, it smells gooooooood.
madelinexf
Currently Reading: Sweet Possession
Bookshelf Size: 66

Post by madelinexf »

Sometimes I just happen to use one of my 5 senses when I'm reading a book. I do not really sniff books often and I only accidentally smell the fresh books when I open and close the book just to read the inside to get the idea of what I am reading. However, I do like smell old books because they do not irritate my noise as much compared to new printed books with fresh dry ink filling the air around me and almost suffocating me.
angel_johnson
Currently Reading: Best Friends

Post by angel_johnson »

YES!!!
tyquent
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tyquent.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tyquent »

I personally love the smell of books, and the smell of libraries as well. When I was a kid, there was an older library in my town, and the whole place just smelled like old books... it was great, and probably my favorite place for a while there.
kris10w04
Favorite Author: Tolkien
fav_author_id: 10389

Post by kris10w04 »

I'm a sniffer! I prefer older books but I like textbooks too. Many of them smell sweet. And I love the smell of a library or Mom-and-Pop book store. It makes me so excited!
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

Only occasionally, and only when I really want to embed a book in my memory.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
AprilWilsonNolen
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aprilwilsonnolen.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AprilWilsonNolen »

I am a book sniffer, but, I find a book smells different if you simply fan the pages to when you are reading, and you turn the pages. When you turn the pages, the scent of the pages is warmer, deeper in the aroma of the papers fibers, as they have been warmed by you, while a book simply fanned smells good, but not as deeply aromatic.

Hope this finds you well.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”