Would you judge a book by it's FONT?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Topcho
Favorite Author: J.R.R.Tolkien
Currently Reading: z2
Bookshelf Size: 853
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topcho.html
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly

Re: Would you judge a book by it's FONT?

Post by Topcho »

Mmm... I wouldn't say I'd judge it... but it may affect my experience with the book. Tho I would probably try not to reflect it with my rating. Usually I LOVE unique or weird fonts when used to make an emphasis. Sometimes, however, it goes too far. I had a book once, where they used some kind of gothic font for chapter titles, some charaters and in other places. After glancing on it, I was like "Wait, what is this? What language is this?"

Tiny letters can be a bother too. They slow me down, especially when I am tired and read late in the evening. But when the font is too big, it's no good either. Then I have the feeling the author just had the need to fll those pages... like I do when I'm writing a paper, lol.
Latest Review: "Sonar The Cyclone" by B Truly
originaloflaura
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Beautiful Losers</a>
Currently Reading: Devil in the Grass
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by originaloflaura »

I'm usually not particular about fonts if they aren't noticeably bad ones. COMIC SANS definitely springs to mind. As does that one that looks like it's trying to imitate ancient Egyptian... I think it's PAPYRUS? (HERCULANUM looks that way too.) Those are my biggest pet peeves, along with the unreadable "computer" fonts where you can't tell if the letter is a D or an O... that sort of thing. Otherwise, if it's readable, I'm not too bothered.

P.S. I just remembered some of those REALLY old fonts, from the 1800s and earlier, where the lower-case Fs look like Ss... yeah, not a fan of those, either. But those are usually only in really old printings, and sometimes get scanned wrong by places like Project Gutenberg, so they can be a real stumbling block when you're reading and trying to figure out what on earth gibberish this author wrote!
Christinar81
Favorite Author: Too hard to pick one
Currently Reading: Barracuda
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinar81.html
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon

Post by Christinar81 »

I guess I've never really paid attention to the fonts in my books. So I would say no different fonts don't bother me. The only thing that does is if it's too small. It makes me strain and that can distract me from the story. Now I'm going to pay more attention to the fonts. Guess I just figured they were all the same.
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”
― Mae West
Latest Review: "Revelations From the Past" by Lori J Gordon
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Now that the question was asked I think yes. Some fonts are just too difficult to read like Edwardian Script, it looks pretty but too stressful for my eyes. I usually go for Times New Roman, Arial and Avant Garde.
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I thoroughly understand that there is such thing as a "incorrect" or "unprofessional" font, but to dislike that choice to the point where I cannot finish a book, nor appreciate its content: no. I have had the opposite effect where pleasing additions, modifications, or highlights have been made in attractive fonts, and that has ADDED something, but never taken away.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Not necessarily but if it's hard to read because of the font, I might skip it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
raeryn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raeryn.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by raeryn »

I generally judge books by their cover, since that's the first thing I notice, but I think I would only judge the font of a book if it is distracting and inessential to the book (since some books are in file/letter format). By the time I see the font, I'm probably already interested in reading the book.
Ajgird
Currently Reading: Eclipse
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Ajgird »

Sometimes I have trouble reading certain font, so i won't bother reading the book. I feel like I am quite picky with the fonts that I like to read in especially with E-books.
ifeoma obike
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeoma-obike.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by ifeoma obike »

Yes, books with tiny fonts or fonts without much spacing appears boring to me and even if it is interesting i still have hard a time reading it. I can't finish a book with such fonts in a sitting because it makes me watery-eyed and gives me headache sometimes. Most universities in my country uses Times New Roman as the standard font for project and thesis writing, any other font will automatically make your work to be rejected.
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami
classicaltwist
Currently Reading: The Algorithm Design Manual
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-classicaltwist.html
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by classicaltwist »

I do most of my reading on my Kindle nowadays, so thankfully the font and size are already set to my preference. But for physical books, I've never run into a book that's put me off by its font. It would be in a font that would be irritating to read for long periods of time, like Papyrus. I can't imagine any decent publisher allowing that, though.
"The man who never alters his opinion is like standing water, and breeds reptiles of the mind." -- William Blake
Latest Review: "The Stealer of Memories" by Mois Benarroch
KiMB00P
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by KiMB00P »

Fonts don't matter to me at all. It seems that most books use a similar font family. And plus, I've only read Ebooks in the last 8 years so I can change it if I really wanted too.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

Yes, I will still read a book even if I don't like the font, but I certainly have a preference. I tend to prefer a small, typewriter style font instead of a larger font appearing "computer-made." I'm also more likely to buy/check out a book with pages that I like. You know how some books have really thin pages like most Bibles and others are thicker? Also, there are different colors. Some pages are super white, some grey, some yellowish. I tend to prefer thicker pages with a yellow cast. I'm not sure why I prefer that I just do. :roll2:
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I'm not too fond of sans serif, while Palatino Linotype is soft on the eye while being neat and readable. Times New Roman seems so unimaginative these days when there are so many font options.
Mickiee
Currently Reading: Laiden's Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Mickiee »

ALynnPowers wrote:I used to have a boss who was from a different English speaking country than me, and she would get irrationally angry if we wrote ANY document in a font outside of what she personally considered acceptable. There was only ONE that she deemed suitable... can't remember which one it was, but they looked exactly the same to me except for the lowercase t not being curled at the bottom. Obviously the font I am using right now would not be tolerated in her present. I might also mention that she is the biggest expletive in the history of the universe and she gives everyone from her country a bad name. 8)
OMG! This made me giggle! Just picturing you handing in something and just about wanting to use 'comic' font or something just to tick her off!

Having said that, I know several professors who are also a bit umm obsessed with uniformity with all thier student papers.

But as to the topic on hand, I enjoy different types of fonts. I find it brings out the spirit of the author and maybe a concept of the book,such as a journal type feel with a 'script' type font. But! Having said that, legibility is the biggest key factor no matter what they use. If it's hard on the eyes, it's not going to fly with me.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

It matters to some extent. A very curly font would be bad for a book.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”