When is the last time you've visited a bookstore

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
michystar12
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michystar12.html

When is the last time you've visited a bookstore

Post by michystar12 »

The last time, I think, is about, 5 to 6 days ago. I visited Barnes & Nobles and purchased "The Giver" by Louis Lowry
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I loved The Giver! I also love going to bookstores! I went to Barnes and Noble last week to look for a new book, and I'm planning to go to a used bookstore (Mr. K's) later this week!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
KamiDi2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KamiDi2 »

I haven't read The Giver yet, but I hear good things!! I love bookstores they always smell so good, sadly I don't have one close by so I usually order my books online. Last time I went to a bookstore maybe 5 or 6 months ago
Courtney Whittamore
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-whittamore.html
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick

Post by Courtney Whittamore »

In my town there is a bookstore with a coffee shop in it that a haunt as a writing nook when I feel the need to get out of my house and head and change the scenery. I adore bookstores. What better way to be inspired than to surround yourself by the very goal of your aspiration everywhere you look? So to answer the question, probably last week.
Latest Review: "The Farewell Season" by Ann Herrick
KamiDi2

Post by KamiDi2 »

binge_reader wrote:In my town there is a bookstore with a coffee shop in it that a haunt as a writing nook when I feel the need to get out of my house and head and change the scenery. I adore bookstores. What better way to be inspired than to surround yourself by the very goal of your aspiration everywhere you look? So to answer the question, probably last week.
The bookstore near where I used to live has a coffee shop in it too. I used to go there and get some hot chocolate while reading my new books!
michystar12

Post by michystar12 »

Yeah bookstores are my favorite way of buying books. Just smelling the books is something that I love.
patrickt

Post by patrickt »

I honestly can't remember but then I'm old. I live in Mexico and I read in English. For thirteen years I read what I could find. Fortunately, we have an English Library here that is always selling books for I found Lawrence Block and Elmore Leanord in paperback occasionally. One bookstore in town sells books in English and I'd occasionally get desperate enough to buy one of theirs. Then, along came Kindle and I was able to read what I want instead of what I could find. So, I rarely go to the bookstore and I don't buy used books at the library. It did take awhile to adjust to not having stacks of books sitting around my apartment.
bluebutterfly2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebutterfly2.html

Post by bluebutterfly2 »

The last time I visited a bookstore was a very long time ago. (probably early summer of this year) I like to buy used and even decently priced used books at good bookstores are a lot more expensive than at garage sales.
Livi-C
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livi-c.html

Post by Livi-C »

I lost my job and haven't been able to walk into a book store knowing that i cant buy a book. :cry:
michystar12

Post by michystar12 »

Thanks for sharing. I think that all of us, since we are avid readers ourselves, we understand the pain someone goes through when we know we can't buy our own books.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I have visited a Whitcoulls yesterday and purchased the first 5 books of the Harry Potter series. The new edition just came out and there was a 25% off deal in my local bookstore, so I simply couldn't resist. Don't ask how much money I left there though...
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
michystar12

Post by michystar12 »

RebekaV wrote:I have visited a Whitcoulls yesterday and purchased the first 5 books of the Harry Potter series. The new edition just came out and there was a 25% off deal in my local bookstore, so I simply couldn't resist. Don't ask how much money I left there though...
That's so cool(and pretty lucky, since Harry potter books are pretty expensive but they're worth it though)
skyfallDancer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skyfalldancer.html

Post by skyfallDancer »

Just today, with some friends. But we went there to laugh at hilariously bad Wattpad novels... we didn't really bring much money for books.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I sometimes get anxiety from the thought of walking into a bookstore. Mainly because I know i'll likely be in there for hours debating what to purchase. This is why I haven't been to an actual bookstore in months.

Instead, I peruse online sites and read exerpts until I find something I think I might enjoy reading. And then Kobo does the rest ;)

I also attend a yearly book fair that is put on in my hometown (though I missed it this year). Gently used books sell for a fraction of their cost (some are under $1 each) here, so I can pick out a number of books and still walk away with a box full of books and money in my pocket!
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
CvetichJ
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetichj.html

Post by CvetichJ »

I love bookstores. I love the atmosphere. Unfortunately, I just can't bring myself to spend $10+ than I need to for a book that I can purchase for a much lower price on Amazon. And with Amazon's new Unlimited feature, it makes the Kindle even more convenient.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”