What is historical fiction?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

What is historical fiction?

Post by Bigwig1973 »

What makes a book historical fiction? Is it a made-up plot with made-up characters in a realistic setting? One source says, "another time or place, real or imagined". Does the historical setting have to be longer than fifty years ago? Everyone has an idea when they hear the term, but "technically" what is historical fiction?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

I believe historical fictions are books based on what happened in the early centuries. Human view past as history, just like yesterday has become an history.
Hussein21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hussein21.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by Hussein21 »

I believe historical fictions are books based on what happened in the early centuries. Humans view the past as history, just like yesterday had become history.
Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 04 Jan 2022, 16:02 What makes a book historical fiction? Is it a made-up plot with made-up characters in a realistic setting? One source says, "another time or place, real or imagined". Does the historical setting have to be longer than fifty years ago? Everyone has an idea when they hear the term, but "technically" what is historical fiction?
Historical if it evaluates the life and culture of a set of people. It has be suited in a realistic setting. It’s most non fictional, even if it is fictional, the setting and key narratives are not fictional.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Hussein21 wrote: I believe historical fictions are books based on what happened in the early centuries. Humans view the past as history, just like yesterday had become history.
Not that I disagree, but then in this case, what is currently "other fiction" with a present-day setting later becomes "historical fiction". I was asking because I was wondering about classifying books on the bookshelves on OBC. I have books with literary terms, but I was wondering if opinions/definitions here differed! Thanks for your input!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

Bigwig1973

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Owuamanam wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: What makes a book historical fiction? Is it a made-up plot with made-up characters in a realistic setting? One source says, "another time or place, real or imagined". Does the historical setting have to be longer than fifty years ago? Everyone has an idea when they hear the term, but "technically" what is historical fiction?
Historical if it evaluates the life and culture of a set of people. It has be suited in a realistic setting. It’s most non fictional, even if it is fictional, the setting and key narratives are not fictional.
The question came up because I was putting books on bookshelves here and I wasn't sure what to categorize some of them! I did find the category in a book on literary terminology, but I was curious to know how members here determine what makes a book historical fiction, rather than other fiction, etc. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it!

Owuamanam Eberechukwu
Currently Reading: All will be revealed
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owuamanam-eberechukwu.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Owuamanam Eberechukwu »

Bigwig1973 wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 20:15
Owuamanam wrote:
Bigwig1973 wrote: What makes a book historical fiction? Is it a made-up plot with made-up characters in a realistic setting? One source says, "another time or place, real or imagined". Does the historical setting have to be longer than fifty years ago? Everyone has an idea when they hear the term, but "technically" what is historical fiction?
The question came up because I was putting books on bookshelves here and I wasn't sure what to categorize some of them! I did find the category in a book on literary terminology, but I was curious to know how members here determine what makes a book historical fiction, rather than other fiction, etc. Thanks for your input, I do appreciate it!
It’s fine, keep up the good work. So far, the categorization appearing on my select tab are great. Godspeed bro.
"I am learning every day to allow the space between where I am and where I want to be to inspire me and not terrify me."
Tracee Ellis Ross
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Nesson »

It’s fiction that takes place in any previous era. I don’t think there’s a set time period for it, as long as things were just a little different then.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”