Library or owning?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Library or owning?

Post by DATo »

I think it is ill advised to purchase a book without knowing if you will like it or not. Unless the book is recommended by someone I absolutely trust - someone who knows me and my taste in books - I will pick it up at the library first; then, if I love the book and know I will want to read it again (perhaps many times) then, and only then, will I purchase it.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

A bit of both for me. I do still buy the odd book or two and friends and family buy books for me as gifts, but I still like to use the library. I am a firm believer in....use it or lose it.
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

Definitely owning for me ! There's a sense of peace in knowing that the book is mine and of my property, and that I can pick it up whenever and read it for as long as I feel I have to be
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

I like owning my books. I dream that when i get a house that i will create a study/library in which i will store all of my books. I figured not only will there be plenty to read, but it would be a great way to get my kids into reading, and hopefully grandkids and so forth.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

I like to own my books before reading..It's kinda weird. I think it's because I like to look back on what I've read. And also be able to easily refer someone. And most of the books I own are really pretty to look at.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Owning for sure, I don't use libraries too often, borrowing and returning is just too much of a hassle to me! haha
Sian Versweyveld
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sian-versweyveld.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Sian Versweyveld »

I prefer owning books. The only things I borrow from the library are DVDs sometimes.
“The mystery of life isn’t a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.”
MesfnKalu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mesfnkalu.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by MesfnKalu »

Both for me but I lean toward the Library.
Alissa Nesson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Alissa Nesson »

It really depends on the book it is. I’ve checked out a lot of library books because I can’t support my reading habit! If it’s a book that’s new and has a long waiting list or one that I know I’ll want to reread then I’ll buy it.
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sadya »

It's changed for me nowadays. Sometimes I'll buy used books so I can read these whenever I want to, at least I have books at home to read anytime. If I want to reread a book, then I buy it. I don't mind buying used books, if the condition is fine or if it's difficult to find. I have a mixture of new and used books at home (the term used books sounds strange, doesn't it?).

I always had a library membership, until a few years ago when life became too busy. Finally I have more time to read again! So I definitely want a library membership too. The nice things about a library membership is: you can read tons of books and save loads of money. The only books you need to buy then are the books you intend to keep.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”