How can i stop subvocalizing while reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
jobsfor14
Bookshelf Size: 0

How can i stop subvocalizing while reading?

Post by jobsfor14 »

Recently i have been working through courses that are supposed to train me how to speed read. One of the key principals of speed reading is that you dont subvocalize (pronouncing words in your head while reading) words when you read them. Supposedly the brain can process literally thousands of words per minute, but you have to be able to visually process these words without saying them to yourself in you head. A few tips i have already heard are to hole a toothpick in my mouth, or chew gum, but i can do these things and still subvocalize. Does anyone have tips on how to eliminate subvocalization?
saracen77
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by saracen77 »

Oh, I just tried that and it nearly made me dizzy... And also, I didn't take in a word of what I had just read! There must be more of a trick to it than just not hearing the words in your head, otherwise, I don't think that would work for me at all.

I don't think I'm helping here, but just to say, chewing and holding stuff seems to have no effect on the voice at all. The only way I managed it was to go so fast that my voice couldn't keep up, and then, the comprehension dipped.

Let me know if you crack it, I'm intrigued to find out how this works.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I'd never heard of subvocalizing before now, but I now that I know what it is, I know that I do it, too. I think the trick to getting past the subvocalization (if that's a word), is to let your eyes bounce along the sentence and only filter in key words, like verbs, nouns, and adjectives. The brain is pretty amazing and can make a connection between random words, turning them into something coherent. But, honestly, I have no idea. Lol.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I think you should just employ immense concentration.
Brnlan
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brnlan.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brnlan »

Wow. I've never heard of this. I doubt I could ever do it since I like to reread some passages and/or sentences before proceeding.
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

jobsfor14 wrote: 19 Oct 2008, 09:30 Recently i have been working through courses that are supposed to train me how to speed read. One of the key principals of speed reading is that you dont subvocalize (pronouncing words in your head while reading) words when you read them. Supposedly the brain can process literally thousands of words per minute, but you have to be able to visually process these words without saying them to yourself in you head. A few tips i have already heard are to hole a toothpick in my mouth, or chew gum, but i can do these things and still subvocalize. Does anyone have tips on how to eliminate subvocalization?
I subvocalized while reading this. It can't be eradicated entirely. It takes practice not to.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I don't think there is a way to stop subvocalizing. I think subvocalizing helps in understanding what you are reading. Just my opinion.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”