Read or Write?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
kcfreeman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Read or Write?

Post by kcfreeman »

For me it's more that I love to read and I wish I could write. I've become good at cranking out typical essays, but I would kill for better creative writing skills. I will never lose my love of reading though =)
Csea_Fitzy199
Favorite Author: Emily Rodda
Favorite Book: [Books] Horse books and some fantasy
Currently Reading: Black Beauty
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csea-fitzy199.html
fav_author_id: 7488

Post by Csea_Fitzy199 »

I love to read more than writing but i accomplish a lot when its an writing essay at school but reading my thing if anyone knows what i mean?
Raven2evil
Favorite Author: Christine Feehan
Favorite Book: The Alchemist
Currently Reading: Dark Slayer
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raven2evil.html
fav_author_id: 2573

Post by Raven2evil »

I'm both. For a while I feel out of reading and thus my creativity in writing vanished so I stopped that to. I found that reading fuels my ability to write creatively. My only problem is that I don't quiet have the grammar skills to become a professional writer.
milyjohnson37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milyjohnson37.html

Post by milyjohnson37 »

I like to read and write. I do both all of the time.
NanahoChan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nanahochan.html

Post by NanahoChan »

Hate writing, love reading.
Bindid24

Post by Bindid24 »

Both! I would love to be an author, but I really don't have a lot of time to write. :(
stoops96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoops96.html

Post by stoops96 »

I love both but writing for me is so much more difficult. It's not that I don't have ideas or haven't written stories before, it's just sometimes I feel like my brain just doesn't want to come up with something. And I dislike that feeling. :mrgreen: I wish it was easier to get my brain to go along with me in this endeavor! :)
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

That is a very difficult question to answer for those who also write as well like me. I enjoy writing so much. But I don't think a writer can be the best writer he can be without reading. Reading helps inspire a writer's mind. So the two go hand in hand
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
BobGrant

Post by BobGrant »

I've tried writing before and when I wrote it felt good but when I reread what I wrote it just wasn't the same so I gave up pencilling my thoughts.
briana_nicolee_

Post by briana_nicolee_ »

I love both. But writing is something that I find myself doing anytime, anywhere.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I prefer both! But I mostly read since I am too scared to write stories.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
mvg_80
Favorite Book: The catcher in the rye
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mvg-80.html

Post by mvg_80 »

I love reading... And thankfully I tend to forget what I've read so that reading the same book again is once again a surprise....
RussetDivinity
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russetdivinity.html
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen

Post by RussetDivinity »

BobGrant wrote:I've tried writing before and when I wrote it felt good but when I reread what I wrote it just wasn't the same so I gave up pencilling my thoughts.
That's what drafts are for! The first draft of something is rarely as good as it could be, and sometimes you have to go through and adjust some wording to make it work. I've been discouraged by my writing, but I've taught myself to see things I can fix rather than things that are terrible.

As for me, I like both, but I enjoy writing more than reading lately. I still love to read, but I can't quite summon the same energy as when I'm creating something.
Latest Review: "Heart of Flint" by Scott Stricklen
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I like reading better than writing in general - I can just sit and get lost in another world. I don't have to think or do anything, just 'watch and listen' as the story develops. But I do like writing as well. When I was a kid I wanted to become a writer. I still make up stories all the time - when I wash the dishes, when I'm walking the dog, when I gaze out of the window when I should be studying. But writing for me is actual work while reading is a relaxing activity. For writing I have to think, to visualise, to put pen to paper and to consider grammar and spelling. I do love it, but it's harder than reading.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
Shaniah_gracee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaniah-gracee.html

Post by Shaniah_gracee »

I tend to balance both reading and writing quite well. I love to read slightly more than i love to write, but writing allows you to open your mind and express your own creativity, whilst reading allows you to get in to someone else's mind! I hope to one day finish a book of my own:)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”